LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
JCScoobyRS
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: It's a Secret
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 79

Rep: Reputation: 15
Remote Desktop With Mixed Environment


I have a wild network of 90% Windows 2000 computers and the other 10% are a mixture of Linux flavors (mainly Gentoo). I have tried TightVNC to connect from Windows to Linux and vice-versa and it works but I need to the Linux to Linux or Windows to Linux connections to connect to the current X Session so if I move the mouse in VNC, it moves the mouse on the remote machine. What is a feasible setup for doing this? I've searched the Gentoo Forums and googled but everyone has their own opinion on how it should be done and I'm looking for what someone has successfully done. Thanks, Jeremy
 
Old 02-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
ash4stuff
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Viena
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 139

Rep: Reputation: 15
as far as I know, it cant be done with tightvnc, or any vnc server that I know. In linux it creates a new session. What you are looking for is a rfb server-client. Dont remember if vnc client can connect to a rfb server. I did this on a debian machine a long time ago, and it worked, but very slow. Didnt play with it much though. Google a little or search for rfb packages from your distro. Hope that helps.

Ashley

Last edited by ash4stuff; 02-04-2004 at 07:22 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote desktop software to control desktop GUI? Phaethar Linux - Software 3 06-27-2008 09:30 AM
Help with Desktop environment plato399 Linux - Newbie 2 10-21-2005 08:41 PM
What's the best Desktop Environment? Mathijs Linux - Software 2 04-23-2005 12:26 PM
Backup Software for mixed environment jedimastermopar Linux - General 2 09-24-2004 03:34 PM
Which Desktop Environment You Use? xoros Linux - General 43 10-21-2003 06:04 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration