I spent some time last night recompiling and upgrading the kernel on a test system I have (RH9). I decided to try the 2.5.72 kernel for kicks. Well I did the make and got my bzImage. I added it to the /boot/ directory, and added an entry in lilo for that image. Rebooted the box and I get the new kernel as a selection, yay! Well I select it and hit enter. Then I get this:
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Normal, I know, but it just stops after that. Nothing happens. I'm thinking I either screwed something up in my lilo.conf or this build is screwed up (which is quite possible considering it's in active development). Here is my lilo.conf file:
Lastly, here are the directions I loosly followed. Things seemed to have changed a lot from 2.4 to 2.5 in kernel setup. http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/kernel/