Well, I got my modem to work, here is how [I run SuSE7.2, don't know if this works for other distributions]:
- configure your modem before you install the drivers [i.e. use YaST2 e.g. to use '/dev/modem']
- download the driver from http://e-www.motorola.com/products/s...software.html.
- install it: 'rpm -i sm56_5.1_i386.rpm' in a console window.
- set it up by typing 'sm56setup' [you can / have to (?) add you country code here [unless US]. Germany: 49. Use 'man sm56setup' to learn more]
- now the tricky part: the modem can only be used by root. To change this, type 'chmod 777 /dev/modem' to change this.
- use 'wvdial' from a console window or kppp or whatever to connect to the internet!
I hope this works for you the way it did for me [I know nothing about Linux, so this may be wrong or dangerous... But hey, it works on my machine!].