LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #31
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47

I was wondering where you get a virtual machine with 4 cores, 4 gig ram and an emulated gtx 8800 from
 
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #32
ComputerGreek
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister View Post
I was wondering where you get a virtual machine with 4 cores, 4 gig ram and an emulated gtx 8800 from
You wouldn't emulate a gtx 8800.

You would give the virtual machine direct access to the video card
 
Old 03-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #33
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGreek View Post
You wouldn't emulate a gtx 8800.

You would give the virtual machine direct access to the video card
How do you do that with qemu?
 
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #34
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,239

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister View Post
How do you do that with qemu?
You don't.
(K)Qemu is the fastest (raw cpu) of them all but not for graphical stuff (It does have an OpenGL patch/option though). As far as I know, it doesn't
"emulate" high end cards...

Qemu (and kqemu/kvm) is not a good option if you're looking for graphical performance. (This could change though, KVM is getting better with every release).
 
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #35
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
You don't.
(K)Qemu is the fastest (raw cpu) of them all but not for graphical stuff (It does have an OpenGL patch/option though). As far as I know, it doesn't
"emulate" high end cards...
Thats what I thought but I am always willing to learn something new.

About the speed thing:
Dunno - last time I tried kqemu it was kind of sluggish for compiling.
It's hard to say because reliable benchmarks of VM's are hard to find.I read that Vmware even expicitly prohibits publishing benchmarks in their license.
 
Old 03-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #36
ComputerGreek
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister View Post
How do you do that with qemu?
There is nothing stopping you from giving Qemu direct access to the video card. Except of course the coding.
 
Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #37
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGreek View Post
There is nothing stopping you from giving Qemu direct access to the video card. Except of course the coding.
Could you please elaborate on that?

I can't find anything anywhere about doing this.
 
Old 03-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,239

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister View Post
About the speed thing:
Dunno - last time I tried kqemu it was kind of sluggish for compiling.
It's hard to say because reliable benchmarks of VM's are hard to find.I read that Vmware even expicitly prohibits publishing benchmarks in their license.
Did you try it with a headless VM ?
I use it like that with RDP to avoid the sluggish graphics emulation.

I find the speed difference very noticeable compared to VMWare.
Virtual Box isn't bad for this either (but more aimed for desktop systems).
 
Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #39
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
Never used qemu headless - wouldn't make a difference either because I normally don't run a GUI in VM's.
Virtualbox (usuaslly run the headless either) was faster at the time which didn't make much sense since it shares a lot of code with qemu.
 
Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #40
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,239

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister View Post
Never used qemu headless - wouldn't make a difference either because I normally don't run a GUI in VM's.
Virtualbox (usuaslly run the headless either) was faster at the time which didn't make much sense since it shares a lot of code with qemu.
Well, I must admit that I don't know Virtualbox that good.
We mostly use Xen (RHEL, IBM), but that only makes sense for networking (xen beats everything here).
We do have a number of servers (mostly running drupal) using kvm and I'm really happy with those. Qemu's best thing is its raw cpu performance (IMHO, still the most important part).
 
Old 03-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #41
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
If you do servers you might be interested in disk I/O which doesn't seem too great on any VM.
desides running any benchmark on VM's is funny business from my experience.

I am wondering where M$ is going with their next VM - either they go halfbaked as usual or if they really want to get all the way they'll have to include 3d for vista.
 
Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #42
ComputerGreek
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister View Post
Could you please elaborate on that?

I can't find anything anywhere about doing this.
You need only adjust the Qemu code to have direct access to the video card. Think of a system with two video cards. Assign one of them to Qemu.
 
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #43
ComputerGreek
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Well? Two video cards. What do you think?
 
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #44
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
Never heard about anybody doing this - I know there is some prealpha software to get some 3d going but attaching a video card directly to the VM is news to me.
 
Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 AM   #45
ComputerGreek
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister View Post
Never heard about anybody doing this - I know there is some prealpha software to get some 3d going but attaching a video card directly to the VM is news to me.
It just seemed like something that was doable.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bsod, kqemu, kvm, qemu, vista


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solaris 10 guest endless reboot under KVM/Qemu green_dood Linux - Software 6 12-13-2009 02:20 AM
fedora/vista dual boot - partimage: restored vista - vista won't let me log on redmoon zero Linux - General 1 12-31-2007 08:21 PM
LXer: Using kvm, or kqemu, to speed up qemu LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-25-2007 02:21 AM
LXer: Linux: Improved KVM Performance, Vista Support LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-06-2007 02:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration