I am a complete newbie to Linux so please bear with me! I wasn’t sure in how much detail I should go in describing the problem!
I am trying to Install RedHat Linux 7.3 (Valhalla) which I downloaded from LinuxISO.org.
My current PC has 2 IBM HDD 45 GB on RAID 0 setup which I have partitioned as follows using Partition Magic:
(Drives are FAT32 Format)
Drive Partition Name:
• Windows • Apps • Data
I am currently running Windows XP Pro and want to install RedHat Linux on the Data Partition as that is currently empty.
I booted from the first CD and went through the various options until I got to something about partition the Drives. The options I get are:
• Automatically create partition for you.
• Manually Partition with Disk Druid
• Manually Partition with FDisk – Experts Only
I selected the second option first time round and then the third option second time round; however I get the following error:
The Partition table on Device HDE was unreadable. To create new partitions it must be initialised, causing the loss of ALL DATA on this Drive. Would you like to initialise this Drive?
When I clicked on NO/Cancel I got the following error:
An error has occurred – no valid devices were found in which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem.
1. What I don’t know from all of this is which drive is it saying it can’t read the partition table off?
2. I don’t think there is a problem with the RAID setup as when the setup is initialising the Promise Fast track Driver is detected?
I am not sure how to select the Data Partition as the location where I want to install Linux.
Apologies for the lengthy explanation any help is much appreciated!