damn. just lost my whole post because (apparently) my login timed out while I was writing it
Anyway, I'm trying to get a iBot webcam working on my Mandrake 9.2 box. I think the ieee1394/firewire drivers are loading fine, but gscanbus refuses to build because it can't find GTK or gtk-config. So I skipped past that problem, figuring I'll worry about it if coriander (webcam app) can't find the camera.
So I download the latest version of coriander (coriander-1.0.0-pre1) and try to run the configure script. This is what happened:
- the configure script complained that it couldn't find gnomeConf.sh, and told me to install libgnome-dev or gnome-libs-devel
- I found and installed libgnome2_0-devel-2.4.0-3mdk using rpmdrake, but that didn't help
- next I found libgnome32-devel-1.4.2-7mdk in rpmdrake and selected it to be installed
- at this point I was offered the choice of db1-devel-1.85-9mdk or db2-devel-2.4.14-8mdk one of which is apparently required by libgnome32-devel-1.4.2-7mdk
- I picked db2-devel-2.4.14-8mdk, and then ok'd the long list of other packages that are apparently also needed by libgnome32-devel
- back in the main rpmdrake window, I selected "install" to get the ball rolling
- here it told me it needed to remove libxfree86-4.3-24.1.92mdk.i586 in order to install libxfree86-4.3-23mdk.i586. Without any other options that I knew of, I said ok.
- finally, it came up with a complaint that "XFree86-libs = 4.3-23mdk is needed by libxfree86-devel-4.3-23mdk" along with a looooong list of other packages that are needed by one thing or another. The list went off the screen, so I don't know what my options were, but hitting return took me back to the main rpmdrake window, with the packages still selected.
I'm guessing that I'm in some kind of package dependency catch-22, but I don't know how to fix it.
Also, I figure there's got to be a way to tell rpmdrake to look on the net for packages, but I don't know how to set that up either. (everything I install comes off of the 3 mandrake cd's I installed the OS from, though the rpmdrake updates do come off the net)