Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I really hope some one can help on this one because it is driving me batty.
I am developing or rather rewriting an application to run on linux (the original was DOS based, written in Clipper). Outside of my control, the chosen language has been FlagShip, a unix based system, which runs a large percentage of Clipper Code.
Anyway, started off on Red Hat 9, but for a number of reasons, it was decided to change to Slackware 10. This has been working well until my current showstopper.
The FlagShip Printing System is simple, as i understand it, based around lpd. I was able to set up CUPS on Red Hat to emulate LPD (CUPS-LPD, launched from XINETD) and all way well.
On my Slackware box, however, (after I enabled the parallel port) I was able to install a local DOT MATRIX printer, with a RAW print queue, and send it a test page.
BUT, when I attempt the following : lp -d locdot /etc/passwd
I get the following errors :
Status Information, attempt 1 of 3:
sending job 'root@thebitch+666' locdot @localhost
connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
cannot open connection to localhost - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
Waiting 10 seconds before retry
Problem is, I am not even aiming at a remote host - this attempts and fails 3 times - bang I am stumped.
I imagine there is some stupid, arcane file that I have to alter, but i simply have no idea where to look. So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.
I did simply recreate the symbolic links as advised by another helpful fella, and voila, problem solved, but another has reared its ugly head.
I have configured cupsd.conf to the best of my ability, but somehow, the server will not allow remote connections. I have set up a valid BrowseAddress and the print queue is visible from remote machines... but upon actually sending jobs to it, they "vanish"
I suspect that I have to configure something in cupsd.conf on the server to permit connections, but I cannot fathom what.
I tried Listen ServerIP:631 , but that just seemed to break cups....