Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I am using Redhat 9.0 and postfix 1.1.11-11. I am having trouble getting postfix to receive any mail other than mail sent internally (i.e. via the mail command to another_user@localhost). After reading many other posts on this topic, I tried telnetting to localhost 25 and it seems to work fine:
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.xxxx.com ESMTP Postfix
Still haven't had any success getting this stuff to work. I've been reading a lot of posts on this site concerning postfix problems, but nothing yet has helped. Here is my main.cf file, its a little different now, but I can't tell that it has helped:
Yeah, I think you are right, and I'm not exactly sure what the iptable configuration should be. Is there any easy command line addition i can make to solve this problem? And what should I post to show you my current iptables config? Obviously, I'm not very experienced with iptables.
Dont know if this might help - I had a lot of problems with my Postfix installation for starters and I seem to remember this problem relates to mynetworks, inet_interfaces and relayhost parameters in main.cf.
First of all relayhost are commented out. Secondly I have sat inet_interfaces=all (=all domains on the server) and last but no least mynetworks=subnet -> I'm not sure about this since this might relate to some of my other problems (i.e. not beeing able to reply to a mail send from my host, from an external POP3 reader)... :-(
Well, I figured out the problem. Actually I had some help. The problem was with my hosts file in /etc/hosts. I had my hostname and domainnames the same. i.e.
192.168.1.100 myhostname.com myhostname.com
All I had to do to fix this was
192.168.1.100 myhostname.com myhostname (or anything else that is not myhostname.com)
I can't exactly explain why that works, because I haven't been able to find a lot of good information about the hosts file in detail, but it does work. Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions.