this is a redhat / fedora issue related to a setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n
replace "en_US.UTF-8" with "en_US" and save file
logout and then log in and all should be well.
This is a known issue. I thought I had "fixed" this issue but my edit did not take effect apparently. I discovered this when I attempted to install the Date::Calc Module and got a bunch of errors during "make test" referring to malformed en_US.UTF-8. When I checked /etc/sysconfig/i18n again, i corrected the error. Next, installing the Date::Calc Module went correctly (except for four skipped tests) and reinstalled pflogsumm with the smtpd stats enabled and all is well.
Then add the following entries to your crontab (based on default redhat settings) and your email administration just got simple.
10 0 * * * /usr/local/bin/pflogsumm -d yesterday /var/log/maillog | mail -s "Mail Report" email@example.com
Many thanks to the pflogsumm author JIMSUN
BY THE WAY: I LATER DISCOVERED THE EASIEST WAY TO TAKE CARE OF THE DEPENDENCY ISSUE FOR FEDORA USERS IS TO JUST INSTALL THROUGH YUM
yum install postfix-*
Unable to find pid
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
I will do the following:
[install: postfix-pflogsumm 2:2.0.18-4.i386]
I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
[deps: perl-Bit-Vector 6.3-2.i386]
[deps: perl-Date-Calc 5.3-8.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
if you install the Fedora RPM, then your crontab -e entry is slightly different:
10 0 * * * /usr/sbin/pflogsumm -d yesterday /var/log/maillog | mail -s "Mail Report" firstname.lastname@example.org