LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
tjtoocool
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
perl mysql DBI 400 character limit?


I am using a perl script to enter about 6 gigs of text into a mysql database. mysql and perl are setup fine. The perl script works fine in Windows. When I try to use it in Mandrake Linux 9.2 the dbi comes back with an error that shows where the error in the sql syntax occoured. After looking over the syntax to make sure it was correct (even though it did work fine in Windows, wanted to make sure) I noticed on the different files it was in different places. So I counted characters and it seems to cut off the sql query at 400 characters everytime. So any query longer than 400 characters will not work. Any ideas why this might be occouring in linux?
 
Old 01-10-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
tjtoocool
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Update:

In the previous scenario it was clear that the perl modules DBI and DBD::mysql were not at fault for the 400 character limit considering the same modules worked fine on the windows installation. So, I believe I have now also eliminated the possibility of the problem being the perl installation. On windows I was using activeperl 5.8.2, so I installed the linux version of ActivePerl 5.8.2 and ran the script using that perl binary, and still the query gets cut off at 400 characters. So...I'm running out of ideas
 
Old 01-10-2004, 04:44 AM   #3
tjtoocool
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Another update:

I may have spoken too soon when I ruled out the DBD-mysql as not being the culprit. Although it worked fine in Windows, apparently that was not so in linux. Because, I found and tried out Net::MySQL and it seems to avoid the 400 character problem and work like it should; as it does in windows with DBD-mysql. So I guess if anyone else ever has this problem try switching from DBD-mysql to Net-mysql. Well, I enjoyed this monologue, hope everyone else did too
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MySQL Perl DBI question GoTrolling Linux - Newbie 1 03-21-2007 04:31 AM
Mysql reading via Perl DBI ivanatora Programming 2 03-21-2007 04:03 AM
Perl - DBI PG Installation Problems TheMeteorPolice Linux - Software 2 11-23-2005 10:53 AM
perl | DBI->connect | RHEL AS 3 kaN5300 Linux - Enterprise 6 09-14-2004 08:15 AM
perl DBI prepare question mrtwice Programming 1 10-30-2003 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration