OpenGL not working in FC19 due to Catalyst DRI initialization failure
I recently upgraded my Fedora to FC 19. A little more than a week later, after several updates, I noticed my desktop effects weren't working. When I tried to run a game under Wine, it crashed. After some digging, I found that both issues were related to openGL. About that same time, Thunderbird also started crashing. I'm not sure if that's related or not.
When I run glxinfo, I get the following message:
I've attached my Xorg.0.log to this post. About 3/4 of the way down, it says:
No group X Window System?
In working on this, one suggestion I found was to reinstall xserver. The only way I know to do that is to remove it and then install it. But when I try to remove it, it returns:
Trying to install the X Window System group tells me
I was able to get this sorted out. It seems to be a problem with fglrx and the 3.10 kernel. Here are the steps I took:
1. Made sure that kmod-catalyst and akmod-catalyst were removed using yum.
2. Used aticonfig --uninstall=force to completely remove all traces of AMD proprietary driver.
3. Rebooted to kernel 3.9 in terminal.
4. Forced install of AMD Catalyst proprietary driver.
5. Rebooted to kernel 3.10 ---- could not load initramfs.
6. Rebooted to kernel 3.9, removed kernel 3.10.
These steps solved the problem for me. I did reinstall kernel 3.10 to see what would happen. That returned an error building fglrx for kernel 3.10. So I'm going to blacklist kernel 3.10 and report the whole thing as a bug against the kernel.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.|