Thanks for the notes from the RH manual on the switches. That really helps.
You might find this interesting....a post on FedoraForum.org that describes how yum and rpm work
. I learned that yum uses rpm, they are not completely different things. Very educational. And left me not doubting either one in particular.
I don't think rpm is my problem -- the root of it seems to be in that I used rpm and yum at different times for different purposes for the same program (install, uninstall, etc.) AND that I had 1.3 and 2.0.3 on my system at the same time (a clean uninstall of 1.3 would have been wise before starting with 2.0.3) AND the fact that I'm an adventurous noob who knows just enough to get in serious trouble.
One thing after I re-read that setup manual you linked for OOo2 -- I considered that it was saying that
won't work on FC3 -- but that doesn't mean the other methods he suggests won't work. So I tried this:
# rpm -qa | grep openoffice > rmlist
...to make a file with a list of the OOo files on my system, then this:
# rpm -e `cat rmlist`
...to erase those particular files (after examining the list of files). This process seems to have done a very tidy job of cleaning up my system of OOo files. I also deleted my /home/user/.openoffice (which was also recommended in the setup manual) to be sure there is not a trace of it left. Those files are not found by the rpm procedure.
Now I feel I could comfortably install OOo from yum, knowing that all yum is going to do is run an rpm....but first I would
to be sure yum itself is current. That's a new trick I picked up in all this searching.
But maybe doing all this with yum in FC3 is part of the problem. Maybe none of it is up to date enough to cooperate with the new install of 2.0.3.
Now I have to decide....do I install 2.0.3 again or try 2.0.2?? (thanks for the mirror link)
I have done the "enable java" thing in FF. It was already enabled before all this started. I was thinking it doesn't do anything, but since I've installed new Java I guess I could disable, restart, reenable.
RE: your install of 2.0.3
Just FYI mine worked just fine at first. It didn't fall apart until I had completed about 100 file conversions (doc to html) and about 50+ (doc to pdf). Then it suddenly crashed (that was whenI first got the error message about files not being installed). I have read similar reports on OOo forums, so I think it happens after some use...though I can't understand why.
EDIT: changed link to FedoraForums.org to enclose more useful keywords