offline dictionary -- like wordweb
just wondering if anyone can recommend me an offline dictionary (like wordweb) for Linux, i don't want the dictionary to search from the net (although i quite like how wordweb has an online part which functions if initiated)
i have installed wordweb under wine but i would prefer a native linux offline dictionary (untill wordweb releases a Linux version)
update: i found 1
stardict - very elegant, love it
12MBish in size
two files: stardict and stardict-english library
Here's another alternative with a large number of dictionaries: zbedic
did you try again? I just tried and got in with no access; its on sourceforge.net, so one would expect good availability.
At any rate, see below summary of zbedic:
zbedic is an electronic dictionary reader for Sharp Zaurus and Linux desktop.
* Over 90 free mono- and bi-lingual dictionaries (most of them free)
* Efficiently compressed dictionary files (English WordNet dictionary - about 120,000 entries - is only 6MB)
* All dictionaries can be edited
* You can create your own dictionaries
* Can handle huge dictionary files, such as the Wikipedia
* History, back/forward navigation, links between dictionary entries
* Well designed interface - keyboard shortcuts for all major functions
* Can be integrated with QtReader
* Can be installed on CF/SD card to save internal memory
* It's free!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.|