LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Jean.Gabriel.0000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
nVidia GeForce 8600M GS - Which is the best driver to use?


Hi Guys

I currently own a laptop which has a nVidia GeForce 8600M GS Graphics Card and I currently use OpenSuse 11.0... I found it painless to install through the software repository and it works like a dream.

Im now testing out Kubuntu 8.04 but am unsure as to which version driver is best used and also which method of installation. nVidia doesnt have any support related to this particular model graphics card, just simply says refer to the laptops manafacturer (Packard Bell Easynote SB88 Series) which has no support for linux at all...

Thanks for all your help!
 
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
amani
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Kolkata, India
Distribution: 64-bit GNU/Linux, Kubuntu64, Fedora QA, Slackware,
Posts: 2,758

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
See your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in opensuse

You will find a line like

driver abc..

that driver module works apparently.

The best will be nv (open source)

You can install the nvidia driver 'nvidia' in Kubuntu by enabling the restricted drivers...you can uninstall them too.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,049

Rep: Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean.Gabriel.0000 View Post
Hi Guys

I currently own a laptop which has a nVidia GeForce 8600M GS Graphics Card and I currently use OpenSuse 11.0... I found it painless to install through the software repository and it works like a dream.

Im now testing out Kubuntu 8.04 but am unsure as to which version driver is best used and also which method of installation. nVidia doesnt have any support related to this particular model graphics card, just simply says refer to the laptops manafacturer (Packard Bell Easynote SB88 Series) which has no support for linux at all...

Thanks for all your help!
The best performance will be using the latest nvidia-drivers package, the restricted, propietary, binary (or whatever SuSE calls them) drivers from nVidia.

The nv driver will do ok for 2d, but it will waste much more cpu resources.

How to enable them in SuSE, I don't know. It should be doable from Yast2 or whatever the control center is called nowadays.

A SuSE user should be able to give more concrete intructions.
 
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
amani
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Kolkata, India
Distribution: 64-bit GNU/Linux, Kubuntu64, Fedora QA, Slackware,
Posts: 2,758

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
The best performance will be using the latest nvidia-drivers package, the restricted, propietary, binary (or whatever SuSE calls them) drivers from nVidia.
Are you sure it supports this card?

Assuming it does, for SUSE there are special instructions to be followed. See the nvidia site
 
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,049

Rep: Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by amani View Post
Are you sure it supports this card?
Sure, and even latest ones.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html


Quote:
Assuming it does, for SUSE there are special instructions to be followed. See the nvidia site
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Choose the correct OS and architecture, then search for a SuSE related link.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
w3bd3vil
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Hyderabad, India
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 1,189

Rep: Reputation: 49
I run the drivers found on nvidia.com on Ubuntu for a 8600GT flawlessly.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow 2D drawing using "nvidia" driver and 8600M-GT card enbuyukfener Linux - Hardware 3 06-02-2008 02:45 AM
nVidia GeForce 8600M GS driver problem botzkoz Linux - Hardware 4 03-17-2008 10:31 AM
Driver for NVidia GeForce 4 440 Go? digsy Linux - Hardware 15 02-01-2008 12:27 PM
help editing xf86config for nvidia geforce mx440 after installing nvidia driver linguist Linux - Newbie 11 06-13-2006 07:31 AM
installing nvidia geforce driver ickselglic Linux - Hardware 3 03-10-2004 07:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration