Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I had Fedora Core 7 and Wordpress to run my blog site, and things were working pretty well. Included in my features was that I allowed users to post if they registered with a nickname and email address, and wordpress would automatically send them a password.
Then my server crashed. I had to reinstall Fedora and restore mysql and Wordpress from a backup. Then I updated Wordpress to the latest version, and updated Fedora to Core 8.
Now the outgoing email function is broken.
I updated sendmail.mc to recognize my ISP's outgoing mail host as the relay for outgoing mail.
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.comcast.net')dnl
I also instructed it to masquerade as my web site and aliased mail user "wordpress" to "webmaster", because I was receiving
(reason: 550 User unknown)
Now I'm getting server messages from the ISP saying the outgoing mail request has been blocked, as follows:
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
(reason: 554 IMTA04.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast 188.8.131.52 Comc
ast BL001 Blocked. Please see http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Secu
After you updated sendmail.mc did you regenerate your sendmail.cf file? The link in your error messages says this:
You have been blocked from emailing the Comcast network because we have determined that you are sending email from a dynamic/residential IP address within the Comcast domain. Comcast does not allow subscribers to send email from a mail server other than smtp.comcast.net
A smarthost is the relay for your mail and it's where sendmail should send your mail through if the setting from your sendmail.mc file was applied to sendmail.cf. If you run the following command, do you get the output I've shown?
If not, then the change in sendmail.mc did not get correctly applied to your sendmail.cf (I'm assuming the location is /etc/mail/sendmail.cf). If so, then maybe Wordpress is doing its own SMTP stuff and I'd recommend checking the docs to see how to get it to use your sendmail. If it was working correctly prior to the crash do you have a backup of your previous config?
My change in sendmail.mc didn't get applied to sendmail.cf.
Here's the line I modified in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.comcast.net')dnl
Here's what I did to apply it:
make -C /etc/mail
The make command DID generate a sendmail.cf in the correct directory; I can tell by the timestamp. However, the generated sendmail.cf contains the DS designator followed by nothing.
I suppose I can simply modify sendmail.cf directly, then stop and restart sendmail. But that kinda breaks the mechanism and leaves me to modify my own sendmail.cf forever (which is ok, if that's what it takes.) Any idea why my sendmail.mc change isn't being applied?
Ok, I modified sendmail.cf directly to list the relay host after DS, and restarted sendmail. Everything seems to be working now. The only remaining question is, why didn't my change to sendmail.mc generate the correct sendmail.cf?
No urgency here, but I would like to know.
Sendmail.cf is one of those legacy UNIX things that I just never learned, 'cause I never had to, but it doesn't seem all that difficult. If I have to write my own sendmail.cf, I have to, and that's that.
Reading the sendmail.cf file, I located the directory /usr/share/sendmail-cf from which the make pulls its stuff, and I read the README file there. It instructed me that the "dnl" I was seeing all over the sendmail.mc file means "delete through new line," and that what I modified in my sendmail.mc file was a COMMENT.
Well, I've been in IT in one form or another since 1979, and I've never seen "dnl" as a comment indicator before, so I guess I'm not COMPLETELY stupid...
I got rid of the "dnl"s from the sendmail.mc line I modified, and ran make, and got the correct sendmail.cf.
Sorry it took so long to get back - and congratulations on figuring it out. dnl is definitely the most obscure mechanism I've come across. Building a new Sendmail is the only time I ever use m4 so I wouldn't have seen it at all except for that.