LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
klarsin
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu / Mepis
Posts: 144

Rep: Reputation: 15
Need file backup program for Ubuntu


I've recently upgraded to Ubuntu Lucid and found no Archive or anyway to do a compressed back up. This is weird. What program should I get for Gnome. I had tar archive previously, but is there some other that would be an upgrade for Lucid? I am a desktop user.
 
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
SonnySee
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Distribution: Unbuntu 11.10 beta
Posts: 78

Rep: Reputation: 10
I use Crashplan for backing up.
It has some very nice features and is cross platform compatible.
http://www.crashplan.com/

Also, you may look into deja dup, which I have not tried, but according to this article:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/d...1+Ubuntu%21%29


is the proposed default for ubuntu 11-10

https://launchpad.net/deja-dup

Cheers
 
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
klarsin
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu / Mepis
Posts: 144

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnySee View Post
I use Crashplan for backing up.
It has some very nice features and is cross platform compatible.
http://www.crashplan.com/

Also, you may look into deja dup, which I have not tried, but according to this article:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/d...1+Ubuntu%21%29


is the proposed default for ubuntu 11-10

https://launchpad.net/deja-dup

Cheers
Are these commercial apps? I didn't find them in the U repositories. I'm skeptical of using anything that is not in the repository, because I have had too many problems managing the system upgrades. I use to use 'simple backup' for KDE but didn't work on the upgrade from Edgy. I wonder where the backup utility is for Lucid, or maybe it didn't come with the CD package?
 
Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
mikeb380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Location: SC
Distribution: ubuntu 10.10 trying 11.04 & kbuntu 10.10
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarsin View Post
Are these commercial apps? I didn't find them in the U repositories. I'm skeptical of using anything that is not in the repository, because I have had too many problems managing the system upgrades. I use to use 'simple backup' for KDE but didn't work on the upgrade from Edgy. I wonder where the backup utility is for Lucid, or maybe it didn't come with the CD package?
Klarsin; You might check out Clonezilla. I backed up my win drive before I did a clone of the drive to a new drive. It is done on a boot CD so you aren't on the actual drive you're backing up. I like it, you can copy a partition or a drive to another partition or drive, but you can also back up files. I backed up mine to an IDE HD. I forgot to mention that I used Clonezilla for the backup as well as for the cloning. There is a user guide for it which leads you step by step.
Michael

Last edited by mikeb380; 05-10-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: add info
 
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
klarsin
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu / Mepis
Posts: 144

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb380 View Post
Klarsin; You might check out Clonezilla. I backed up my win drive before I did a clone of the drive to a new drive. It is done on a boot CD so you aren't on the actual drive you're backing up. I like it, you can copy a partition or a drive to another partition or drive, but you can also back up files. I backed up mine to an IDE HD. I forgot to mention that I used Clonezilla for the backup as well as for the cloning. There is a user guide for it which leads you step by step.
Michael
I'll look into this one, thanks.
 
  


Reply

Tags
backup, compression, ubuntu


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backup program or command for Ubuntu Yuhan Linux - Newbie 2 04-04-2011 02:35 AM
backup question - NFS share in Ubuntu 9.04 backup to READYNAS NV+ newellrp1 Linux - Newbie 3 05-19-2009 03:57 PM
LXer: Pybackpack - A user friendly file backup tool for Ubuntu Linux Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-07-2008 03:50 PM
How to install program with .sh file in ubuntu? izquierdista Linux - Software 7 02-06-2008 07:00 PM
ubuntu- trying to install ATI program asks for a .ini file thatgirl Linux - Newbie 2 09-22-2007 03:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration