LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   need a php script to format and display a select amount of text from a file (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/need-a-php-script-to-format-and-display-a-select-amount-of-text-from-a-file-699418/)

steve51184 01-23-2009 01:10 PM

need a php script to format and display a select amount of text from a file
 
hey i need a php script to format and display a select amount of text from a file or a cron job that'll do it (with grep etc) and out put to a file but whatever is easier

i want to display all the banned ip's i have in my .htaccess file

i have a lot of lines in my .htaccess file but i have a line that read like this:

Code:

RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} (123\.123\.123\.123|123\.123\.123\.123|123\.123\.123\.123)$
the 3 test ip's are 123.123.123.123 and i want the "\" stripping and the "|" removing and each ip to be on it's own line like this:

123.123.123.123
123.123.123.123
123.123.123.123

i'm not bothered if this is a php script that'll read the .htaccess file and display the output or a cron job that'll run every x mins and output it to a .txt file but i'd prefer a php script

can anyone help me with this please?

TB0ne 01-23-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve51184 (Post 3418899)
hey i need a php script to format and display a select amount of text from a file or a cron job that'll do it (with grep etc) and out put to a file but whatever is easier

i want to display all the banned ip's i have in my .htaccess file

i have a lot of lines in my .htaccess file but i have a line that read like this:

Code:

RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} (123\.123\.123\.123|123\.123\.123\.123|123\.123\.123\.123)$
the 3 test ip's are 123.123.123.123 and i want the "\" stripping and the "|" removing and each ip to be on it's own line like this:

123.123.123.123
123.123.123.123
123.123.123.123

i'm not bothered if this is a php script that'll read the .htaccess file and display the output or a cron job that'll run every x mins and output it to a .txt file but i'd prefer a php script

can anyone help me with this please?

You can check out the explode function (http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.explode.php), which should be able to do what you're looking for in PHP.

However, in SED via a small bash script, it's easy too:

sed 's/\\//g' - Will strip out the '\' character.
sed 's/\|/\n/g' - Changes the '|' to a newline.

Check, though...doing this from memory..untested..your mileage may vary. :)

steve51184 01-23-2009 02:24 PM

So can I use grep to strip that line from the file to a new file then use SED to strip the junk?

If so can anyone make me a little script please?

TB0ne 01-23-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve51184 (Post 3418967)
So can I use grep to strip that line from the file to a new file then use SED to strip the junk?

If so can anyone make me a little script please?

Yes, you can use grep to burp that line through sed. And I'm sure there are lots of folks on here that CAN make you a script. The question is: are they willing to do work for you, for free?

A bash shell script tutorial can be found here http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/. Lots more tutorials are on Google, and you were provided with reference to the appropriate PHP function, which you had originally asked about.

steve51184 01-23-2009 03:24 PM

Your right I have all the info I need so I'll give it a go thank you

steve51184 01-24-2009 08:23 PM

right i had a look but explode for php makes no sense to me.. so i need to ask for more help please

TB0ne 01-26-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve51184 (Post 3420253)
right i had a look but explode for php makes no sense to me.. so i need to ask for more help please

What help do you need? Post what you've written so far, and what error(s) you're getting, and we can try to help.

You originally asked for PHP script, and the explode directive is fairly straightfoward. Take the variable:

$pizza = "piece1 piece2 piece3 piece4 piece5 piece6";

...and explode it. The first field is the character you want to delimit the fields by, in this case, a space. Can be ANY character, though....

$pieces = explode(" ", $pizza);

...then print the value out. In this example, it's printing out the first variable (starts at zero).....

echo $pieces[0]; // piece1

That's it....loop through the array until you're done.

The BASH script tutorial I mentioned has ways of doing it via SED/AWK as well.

steve51184 01-26-2009 11:19 AM

well that's the thing i don't know php so i haven't written anything :\

TB0ne 01-26-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve51184 (Post 3421784)
well that's the thing i don't know php so i haven't written anything :\

Ok, in your first post you mentioned PHP. I assumed that meant you had knowledge of it. Have you gone through the bash scripting tutorial? Looked at ANY of the thousands of example scripts you can find via Google?

Look at the docs for sed and awk.

steve51184 01-26-2009 11:44 AM

i have knowledge about php as in i can edit it very well i just can't make a whole entire script with it and yes i've looked at the docs for sed and awk but again makes no sence to me as i don't/can't make scripts

i'm sure it wouldn't take to long for someone to code me up a little script :(

TB0ne 01-26-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve51184 (Post 3421805)
i have knowledge about php as in i can edit it very well i just can't make a whole entire script with it and yes i've looked at the docs for sed and awk but again makes no sence to me as i don't/can't make scripts

i'm sure it wouldn't take to long for someone to code me up a little script :(

You're right, it wouldn't take too long. But I doubt there's anyone here that will do work for you for free. You can hire a programmer or consultant, or look at any of the THOUSANDS of bash scripts and tutorials you can find through Google, and gain the knowledge yourself.

steve51184 01-26-2009 05:04 PM

but what is the point in this forum if no one will help? i thought it was it was here for?

TB0ne 01-27-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve51184 (Post 3422135)
but what is the point in this forum if no one will help? i thought it was it was here for?

Yes...HELP. Post what scripts you've written, and what error(s) you get, and you will get help.

Ask someone to write you a script, because you don't want to do it, won't get you anything. You've been pointed to links giving you the information you need. This isn't the "free programmer forum", where you post a question and get back scripts.

steve51184 01-27-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 3422738)
Yes...HELP. Post what scripts you've written, and what error(s) you get, and you will get help.

Ask someone to write you a script, because you don't want to do it, won't get you anything. You've been pointed to links giving you the information you need. This isn't the "free programmer forum", where you post a question and get back scripts.

wow so rude!! i never said i don't want to do it i'd LOVE to be able to code but i can't and i've really really tried to but i just can't so don't say i won't when i can't!!!

anyway if this was just a bash script someone would've helped like they always do but cos it's php no one will :(

also you've replied to this topic 6 times over 4 days wouldn't it have been quicker for you to make it? :)

TB0ne 01-27-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve51184 (Post 3422892)
wow so rude!! i never said i don't want to do it i'd LOVE to be able to code but i can't and i've really really tried to but i just can't so don't say i won't when i can't!!!

anyway if this was just a bash script someone would've helped like they always do but cos it's php no one will :(

also you've replied to this topic 6 times over 4 days wouldn't it have been quicker for you to make it? :)

Not being rude to you, but being honest.

I've said from the very beginning that I'm not going to do your work for you, period. I doubt anyone will. If you can't do it, find someone else at your company who can. You've been given links to the PHP function that can do it easily, along with examples, and been pointed to the relevant commands (sed and awk), along with a bash scripting tutorial, but it doesn't appear that you've looked in to any of those resources, or done anything except ask people to write your scripts for you.

This can be done with bash or php..you pick. You say you've "really really tried". Post what you've done and the errors, and we can help you figure out what's wrong. Put some effort forth on your side, and you will get help. If you don't want to do anything but ask someone else to do your work for you, don't complain when they don't.

If you want help, post what you've done and the errors. If you want someone to write this for you, hire a consultant.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.