LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
multiple issues with default fedora 19 file manager


Just upgraded to fedora 19 from fedora 17. After tonnes of issues that i faced during upgrade and post upgrade process, I'm left with these unresolved ones.
I'm running GNOME.

In the order of priority:

1) No videos thumbnails while picture thumbnails work well.

2) Backspace button useless in file manager, works well in firefox though.

3) No minimize or close buttons on file manager.

I've been away from fedora changes for a year now and I wonder what did i miss during this time.
I can't imagine such basic things lacking in this file manager.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
PECONET009
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 11
Lightbulb Upgrading from Fedora 17 to 19 does not go well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
Just upgraded to fedora 19 from fedora 17. After tonnes of issues that i faced during upgrade and post upgrade process, I'm left with these unresolved ones.
I'm running GNOME.

In the order of priority:

1) No videos thumbnails while picture thumbnails work well.

2) Backspace button useless in file manager, works well in firefox though.

3) No minimize or close buttons on file manager.

I've been away from fedora changes for a year now and I wonder what did i miss during this time.
I can't imagine such basic things lacking in this file manager.
Upgrading from Fedora 17 to 19 does not go well because of some changes in the set up (you will have noticed this if you looked as it ran the upgrade).
You will need to do a FULL install so that your system works as it should.

Hope it all works out for you.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONET009 View Post
Upgrading from Fedora 17 to 19 does not go well because of some changes in the set up (you will have noticed this if you looked as it ran the upgrade).
You will need to do a FULL install so that your system works as it should.

Hope it all works out for you.
my last two issue are resolved now.

Now, only thing that is troubling me is absence of thumbnails for videos.

Could you please help me with that? does theme also effect thumbnails?
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
PECONET009
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 11
Lightbulb RPM fusion might help you here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
my last two issue are resolved now.

Now, only thing that is troubling me is absence of thumbnails for videos.

Could you please help me with that? does theme also effect thumbnails?
RPM fusion might help you here,
http://rpmfusion.org/
OR:
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/

Look at the list and select your version of Fedora, then select either "i386" (32bit) or "x86_64" (64bit) when you have downloaded these then you can install "‘ffmpegthumbnailer", more infornation on it here:
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2013/01/in...deo-thumbnail/

Last edited by PECONET009; 08-19-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added more information.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONET009 View Post
RPM fusion might help you here,
http://rpmfusion.org/
i've all rpmfusion repositories installed on my system. Isn't working!
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
PECONET009
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 11
Lightbulb Have you installed ffmpegthumbnailer"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
i've all rpmfusion repositories installed on my system. Isn't working!
Have you installed "ffmpegthumbnailer"?

In your Konsole type:
su
Your password
"yum install ffmpegthumbnailer"

Hope all goes well.

Last edited by PECONET009; 08-19-2013 at 08:21 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONET009 View Post
Have you installed "ffmpegthumbnailer"?
Package ffmpegthumbnailer-2.0.8-4.fc19.i686 already installed and latest version
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
PECONET009
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 11
Lightbulb Step by step..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
Package ffmpegthumbnailer-2.0.8-4.fc19.i686 already installed and latest version
Step by step here:
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2013/01/in...deo-thumbnail/
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONET009 View Post
i got this error in 5th step:

Code:
mv: cannot stat ‘totem.thumbnailer’: No such file or directory
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
PECONET009
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 11
Lightbulb Try this out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
i got this error in 5th step:

Code:
mv: cannot stat ‘totem.thumbnailer’: No such file or directory
Try this out,
http://www.hecticgeek.com/wp-content...bnailer.tar.gz
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONET009 View Post
no thumbnails yet..
 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
PECONET009
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 11
Lightbulb Mmm, how strange..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
no thumbnails yet..
Have you tried a film yet?

You might need to re-boot your system for it to work.

Last edited by PECONET009; 08-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONET009 View Post
Have you tried a film yet?
i can't understand what you're trying to inquire..

I'd like to add that there are no thumbnails for mp3 audio files too..only picture thumbnails are shown.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
PECONET009
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 11
Lightbulb Try this extra out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEnDrOn View Post
i can't understand what you're trying to inquire..

I'd like to add that there are no thumbnails for mp3 audio files too..only picture thumbnails are shown.
You did say: "absence of thumbnails for videos" did you not?

Picture thumbnails are a good sign, this means that if you have any films on your system they will show up also (hopefully).

Try this extra out:
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/rpms.fami...emi.x86_64.rpm

When finished the install will say that it has not installed, but in truth it has, so do not worry too much about that.

Last edited by PECONET009; 08-19-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added more info.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
dEnDrOn
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: oMNipre$ent
Distribution: fedora 3.6.11-1.fc17.i686.PAE
Posts: 493
Blog Entries: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONET009 View Post
Picture thumbnails are a good sign, this means that if you have any films on your system they will show up also (hopefully).

Try this extra out:
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/rpms.fami...emi.x86_64.rpm

When finished the install will say that it has not installed, but in truth it has, so do not worry too much about that.
this package is incompatible with my system {32-bit}

i was constantly trying things and don't know what worked but i can view all audio and most video thumbnails now.

Only ones that are not showing are where many videos are present in a single folder.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] System default file manager crfr33r1d3r Linux - Desktop 1 10-24-2012 08:50 PM
Default file manager in Xfce 2handband Linux - Desktop 32 06-05-2012 06:45 PM
PCMan File Manager - Config file to set default applications? roystonlodge Linux - Desktop 3 12-06-2009 08:09 AM
[SOLVED] kde4 default file manager clvic Linux - Desktop 2 10-04-2009 09:55 AM
Thunar as default file manager ? slax Linux - Software 2 09-06-2008 01:51 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration