LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   MRTG Graphs Freezing and Resetting (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/mrtg-graphs-freezing-and-resetting-904681/)

buee 09-23-2011 04:06 PM

MRTG Graphs Freezing and Resetting
 
I have a few issues with some MRTG graphs. I have a handful of graphs that reset (lose history) at random times, but typically at least once daily.

For the resets, I get entries in the log files like these:
Code:

2011-09-23 05:05:02, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.log to zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 05:15:07, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the primary log file for zimbra1.opt
2011-09-23 05:15:07, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup The backup log file for zimbra1.opt was invalid as well
2011-09-23 05:15:07, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't remove zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 05:25:02, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.tmp to zimbra1.opt.log updating log file
2011-09-23 05:30:02, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the primary log file for zimbra1.opt
2011-09-23 05:30:02, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.log to zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 05:50:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.tmp to zimbra1.opt.log updating log file
2011-09-23 05:55:02, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the primary log file for zimbra1.opt
2011-09-23 05:55:02, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup The backup log file for zimbra1.opt was invalid as well
2011-09-23 05:55:02, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't remove zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 06:25:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.tmp to zimbra1.opt.log updating log file
2011-09-23 06:30:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't remove zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 10:40:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the primary log file for zimbra1.opt
2011-09-23 10:40:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.log to zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 10:40:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.tmp to zimbra1.opt.log updating log file
2011-09-23 10:45:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't remove zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 11:45:06, Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found that zimbra1.opt's log file time of 1316796304 was greater than now (1316796303)
2011-09-23 12:55:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the primary log file for zimbra1.opt
2011-09-23 12:55:03, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename zimbra1.opt.log to zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 13:25:04, Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found that zimbra1.opt's log file time of 1316802302 was greater than now (1316802301)
2011-09-23 14:20:04, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't remove zimbra1.opt.old updating log file
2011-09-23 14:35:05, Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found that zimbra1.opt's log file time of 1316806503 was greater than now (1316806502


I have another handful, that freeze and I have to go in and delete the .log and .old files to get them to refresh. This works for anywhere from 20 minutes to ~18 hours, then freezes up again.

For freezing, it seems to start with a line:
Code:

2011-09-23 14:15:02 -- Started mrtg with config '/etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg'
2011-09-23 14:15:04 -- 2011-09-23 14:15:03: ERROR: Skipping webupdates because rateup did not return anything sensible
2011-09-23 14:15:04 -- 2011-09-23 14:15:03: WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'spamcnt'

And all repeated attempts have that same entry in the log. All graphs that are freezing are getting their results from scripts. Other scripts which are nearly identical are working just fine.


This all started on a Ubuntu machine and then I made a VM with Debian and get the exact same results on the same entries. I've sent the output of these polls to files with timestamps to see if it was somehow the data that was getting returned and that all looks good. I even went so far as to create a minutely cron job that changes the permissions of the whole web directory to 777, didn't work. Changed it to change ownership to root:root, no change. Change ownership to www-data:www-data, no change. I'm baffled.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.