Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Got my system almost perfect, however there is one nagging annoyance.
Mozilla (9.9.9, 1.0, and now 1.1b) and Netscape 6.2.x freeze or lock up intermittently. I am hoping someone can recommend a method of troubleshooting this problem so that I may continue tracking down a solution.
I have searched Google, Redhat, and Mozilla pages for comments on this type of problem to no avail.
Here are the particulars:
Redhat 7.3, KDE 3.0.0, Athlon 900, Radeon 7500
Mozilla and/or Nescape just freeze.
Sometimes it only lasts a few seconds, sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes or more. Seems to happen halfway through loading new pages, but sometimes it occurs while a pages are fully loaded and I'm scrolling through it.
When it is not "stuck" it works just fine- not other apparent problems.
I can tell it is locked up because the "M" in the corner becomes static.
I have a cable modem and other browsers do not seem to have this problem (even MSIE through wine), so I don't think it is an issue of receiving the web pages.
Seems like a memory, problem, process conflict, or maybe a video thing. But what do I know?
I can resize and minimize the window. Closing it doesn't work.
I either have to kill the process or go get a cup of coffee and hope it fixes itself.
Seems to happen on approximately 20% of the web pages I go to.
I have installed it in /usr/lib and /usr/local and it seems to have no effect on the behavior.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this problem.
I'm not sure why it happens to you, just some ideas:
1) In my case, 1.1alpha sometimes stopped, after some time (~1minute or more) it was back, working. It still happens sometimes with 1.1beta (I've not installed 1.1 yet), but it's rare. Maybe try 1.1 (released a week ago).
2) It may be something with your KDE, maybe upgrade to 3.0.3 (3.0.0 had some stability issues, maybe there's something between your KDE and Mozilla).
Here's the answer:
aRts and Flash both expect exclusive access to /dev/dsp and they both "lock" it up. So Basicaly you cannot run aRts and look at flash-laden web pages at the same time. The error is listed in Mozilla Bugzilla, but basically the Mozilla people say the problem is an aRts issue and the aRts people say it is a Flash issue. Flash people probably don't care since they don't make any money off of Linux end users.
If Mozilla locks up, just turn aRts off, at Control Center>Sound>Sound Server . I have gotten use to not having dings and plinks Just have to confiure XMMS to use OSS.