Frustrations with Minicom as a serial terminal application!
Basically it works. But that's it. And it worked better half an hour ago, but I have something borked somewhere on one of the machines.
First, I'll say that I have read and reread the man pages for mc, GPM, Minicom, Termcap, and Terminfo, and I am no further ahead.
Termcap/Terminfo is adding to my confusion.
I have Minicom on the OLD computer (Slackware based OS), connected to the NEW computer (Slackware) via ttyS0. It logs in fine, and I have been trying to set up proper rendering of the character set and color usage, using Midnight Commander via serial, as the test of character set & colors.
Until 1/2 hour ago, I was getting happier, but now I am back at less than square one, with no explanation.
AFAIK, the only thing(s) I have been fiddling with are configuration options in Minicom itself, and the $TERM and $MINICOM variables, all on the OLD machine.
I am logging in as USER over ttyS0, not as root.
I had managed to get colors working in mc over ttyS0.
mc would run fine, but the characterset (used by curses?) that makes up the menu boxes, outlines, etc, was all funny, with foreign letters and all that.
mc works perfectly on the NEW machine.
mc still works perfectly on the NEW machine.
mc will not run via ttyS0 unless I use the -d switch to disable the mouse; otherwise I get an error message like "gpm: screen dimensions not set. assuming 80x25
" and the mc process hangs instantly so I need to kill it on the NEW machine.
the characterset is still screwed up.
colors do work via ttyS0, if I do an `ls` or whatever.
I googled "minicom" plus the gpm error, and got a grand total of 5 hits (wow!) and none of them helped.
1) Does anyone know what/how/whatever sends the screen dimension over to the host machine when needed? I really do not care if the mouse works or not via ttyS0, but I WOULD like to know what happened to it (and on which machine) so that I have to forcibly disable it now when I run MC.
2) what role does Termcap/Terminfo play in this setup, both on the host and client machine?
3) Is it even *possible* to get a curses-based application like MC to properly render via ttyS0 using Minicom?
4) Does anyone even use Minicom for anything like this, and does it work for you with regards to the above problems? If so, how have you got it configured?
5) What about the $TERM/$TERMINFO variable? AFAIK, the default for the former is either 'linux' or 'xterm', and the latter I have no clue. So what role if any does this play in my situation?
---For the most part, I use UTF-8 on my machine(s).
---$TERM='xterm' on both machines.
---Minicom is the newest version, 2.3
---$MINICOM="-l -L -w -c on -a on"
-literal; assume screen uses non-IBM-PC characterset
-don't assume screen uses ISO8859
-attributes (reverse/highlight) ON
and this worked best, till I logged and/out or did something unknown, and next I logged back in and the problems were apparent, namely the gpm problem that appeared out of nowhere, and the ongoing characterset/curses rendering problems.