Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Well, I had export the contacts to a format recognized by Outlook Express. I then setup Outlook Express and imported the contacts in. I then imported them into Outlook. If I remember correctly, I exported a csv file, it contained all the contacts. Then, in Outlook, imported another file type... Comma Separated (Windows, found the file, and was prompted for how to map the file. After many ties, I finally got it fairly correct. Many of the address was still not completely correct. After they are there, I had to go through each address and correct the mistakes. I only have 67 contacts so not that bad. I took a while of fiddling with it but I finally got it.
I hope that helps. Let me know if it is no accurate in some way.
No worries. I discovered the Perl script was working, but Thunderbird created a new address book that I could not see because the address book sidebar was hidden. There was no visual indicator or menu to indicate it even existed! The way I found the side bar was randomly clicking around the address book window, hoping something would happen. Fortunately for me, it did, and I slide the sidebar out and saw that several address books containing the imported contacts had been created.
I wish the Thunderbird admins had made the sidebar a bit more conspicuous, or at least add "view sidebar" to one of the pulldown menus. Would have saved me hours of searching in vain for a fix to something that wasn't broken.