I missed one line in dvdauthor's errormessage, it ended with "please remultiplex input", that's why I tried that 'mplex'.
I'm getting nearer, but I'm still very confused. Have read and tried a lot but I think my problems are because I don't really understand this.
1. tovid (uses mencoder/mplayer and some yuv) says the 3 files are already in pal-dvd format. (Which they should be, saved as that.)
dvdauthor says they're not
the complete movie = these 3 files joined and exported as dvd in Pinnacle studio, tovid runs - converts! doesn't say it's already in dvd-format! - and dvdauthor creates a valid structure. But the dvd is not very playable, mplayer + xine takes a looong time to load and movie stutters a lot (even in standalone dvd-player).
transcode -y mpeg -F d -I 1 -N 0x50 -i att_doda_ver1.mpg -o transcdvd
mplex -f 8 -o /mnt/A6/transdvd.mpg transcdvd.m2v transcdvd.mpa
dvdauthor -o dvd -x dvdauthor_std.xml
Same as above, mplayer plays it but it takes a looong time for it to load the disc. In DVD-player 30 minutes is ok, then distorted.
3. Transcode again, but using "transcode -y mpeg2enc,lame" :
Disc plays ok, but sound is completely weird! However I can listen to transmpeg.mp3 in alsaplayer just fine?
# Try number five - ffmpeg ****************************************************
transcode -y ffmpeg,mp2 -F mpeg2video -I 1 -i att_doda_ver1.mpg -o transff
mplex -f 8 -o transff.mpg transff.mpa transff.m2v
dvdauthor -o /mnt/A6/dvd -x dvdauthor_std.xml
INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01
STAT: Processing transff.mpg...
WARN: unknown mpeg2 aspect ratio 1 (repeated a zillion times) BUT:
[transcode] V: import frame | 720x576 1.25:1 encoded @ 4:3
[export_ffmpeg.so]: INFO: Set display aspect ratio to input
transcode -y mpeg2enc,mp2 -F 8 -I 1 -i att_doda_ver1.mpg -o transmp2
This seems to work! Though I only tested with a small file, the real movie is processing right now.
6. So mpeg2enc works, good let's try it by itself: (using a small script that worked fine with movies recorded to computer using analog videocamera)
lav2yuv +p $namn.avi | mpeg2enc --format 8 -F 3 -a 2 -o $namn.m1v
# mplex -f 8 $namn.mp2 $namn.m1v -o $namn%d.mpg
This gives me a movie that plays directly, but it's all green....
Anyhow, it seems I'm finally getting it to work, only I would feel better if I knew why
it works, (or why it doesn't).
And that dvdauthor-config xml, it's very plain right now, simply creates 2 chapters - dvdauthor does it's basic work. I don't think that's where the problem is. But of course I don't know, here it is: (and yes, I do remember to change filename in it)
<vob file="transff.mpg" chapters="0,5:00,07:00" />