LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   make / compiler problem??? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/make-compiler-problem-294837/)

bograt 02-25-2005 02:18 PM

make / compiler problem???
 
I am running Source 9.1 and am at the point where I am taking on the task of compiling and installing a cvs file.

I was attempting to install aMule initially by RPM but the RPM whilst loaded in would not run.

I downloaded the cvs file and extracted it to a file on my Desktop to which I navigated to the extracted program file, I typed in ./configure and got this.

/configure
checking build system type... i686-suse-linux
checking host system type... i686-suse-linux
checking target system type... i686-suse-linux
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I then typed in make
and got the following

dad@linux:~/Desktop/am/aMule-2.0.0rc8> make
bash: make: command not found
dad@linux:~/Desktop/am/aMule-2.0.0rc8>

am I missing the compiler program I have been looking for a g++, binutils with no luck?

Can anyone advise me please.

__J 02-25-2005 02:35 PM

use Yast, and look for gcc, g++, make, binutils, and any -devel rpm's you'll need ( the -devel's are for libraries, for example, if aMule uses qt, you'll need qt-3.x.x-devel-ixxx.rpm to compile against it). Also, since you're using an rpm distro, most things will be split ( like the -devel packages above) but also look for libstdc++ and libstdc++-devel

bograt 02-25-2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by __J
use Yast, and look for gcc, g++, make, binutils, and any -devel rpm's you'll need ( the -devel's are for libraries, for example, if aMule uses qt, you'll need qt-3.x.x-devel-ixxx.rpm to compile against it). Also, since you're using an rpm distro, most things will be split ( like the -devel packages above) but also look for libstdc++ and libstdc++-devel
Hi ive found nothing in yast ??????????????? how can this be??????

How can I install the files I need?????????

Kronux 02-25-2005 04:57 PM

If you cannot use Yast manually search for the rpms that __J suggested above and everything should work fine. Go to google and just search for suse rpm [what package].

BROse 02-25-2005 05:17 PM

Your ./configure is looking for C++ and C++ sources, there on the DVD. You'll need ALL the sources when it wants something (Python+python sources as a example). To build a file from source it needs the sources of the error file its looking for. Then just fix the errors one at a time tell its right. Hope this helps......

bograt 02-25-2005 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kronux
If you cannot use Yast manually search for the rpms that __J suggested above and everything should work fine. Go to google and just search for suse rpm [what package].
I downloaded the files you suggested but I couldn't find
qt-3.x.x-devel-ixxx.rpm assuming ixxx is the version number?

I tried to compile a different program just to see if the compile would work but NO! I am confussed at why I can't find a compiler in Suse 9.1 ??????

Whilst i'm starting to make progress with Suse as a newbie all I seem to come across is problem after problem and it's doing my head in!!! I'm not looking to throw the towel in because it is stable as a Distro but I could do without the hassle and not having a compiler installed??????? is a total farce. :confused: :confused: :confused:

bograt 02-25-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BROse
Your ./configure is looking for C++ and C++ sources, there on the DVD. You'll need ALL the sources when it wants something (Python+python sources as a example). To build a file from source it needs the sources of the error file its looking for. Then just fix the errors one at a time tell its right. Hope this helps......
Thanks it would help but I hav'nt a clue what I need to do. The DVD is in the machine I AIN'T GOT A CLUE!!!:confused:

Tried searching the CD for C++ but guese what I get an error ( the application KFind (KFind) has crashed and caused a signal 11(SIGSEGV):cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kronux 02-25-2005 05:59 PM

http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-...at=Development

you need to install your development packages first, before you install qt.

Check here for help
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...5&pagenumber=1

BROse 02-25-2005 06:01 PM

In YAST just type the name of the file you want((kernel) in search) Type kernel it should pop a bunch of files, Click on kernel & kernel-source then install them and move on to the next error file.

bograt 02-25-2005 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BROse
In YAST just type the name of the file you want((kernel) in search) Type kernel it should pop a bunch of files, Click on kernel & kernel-source then install them and move on to the next error file.
I'm going to bed! It's doing my head in, i've had enough.....No matter what file name I type, even files I know i've got, each search comes back

( nothing found ) :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:


SORTED THE PROBLEM THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.