I have a big problem:
I have a SCSI RAID Adapter: he work with DAC960 Linux driver.
1) The RH EL3 (kernel 2.4) hawe a bug when stress I/O on this SCSI adapter
2) then I try to install CentOS 4.2 (kernel 2.6) but this distribution (and Fedora Core too) have to make a kernel modify for install properly.
3) I have found instuction for modify CentOS's kernel and build new iso DVD/CDs for install him.
4) Hi tried to make this procedure, but in all case when I try to boot the machine with the new iso I retrieve one error (the DAC960 driver is correctly loaded): Anaconda do not mount correcly the DVD format, also if I try to select FTP service for install, anaconda do not recover the correct format.
5) Then, for bypass this problem, I have installed th originale CentOS 4.2 on IDE HD, I have modified, compiled and installed the kernel (for DAC960 support) on this machine, and then I put the IDE HD in the machin whit SCSI adapter
6) The boot from HD IDE work proprely, I have mount the partition from SCSI adapter on temporary mountpoint (example: mount -t ext3 /dev/rd/c0d0p1 /tmp/boot), I have copy the partitions from IDE HD ( /boot, /, /var/log), I have modified grub.conf and device.map. Then I have turn-off the server, removed the IDE HD, set BIOS for boot from SCSI device... and then: power on!
7) Little problem: grub start ok, but hi don't find the / partition and then --> Kernel panic!!
At the last:
the partition of "/" is "/dev/rd/c0d0p2" = "(hd0,1)" and
"/boot" is "/dev/rd/c0d0p1" = "(hd0,0)"
the kernel is correctly find by grub (it's in hd0,0!) but the "/" partition no! ...
Someone help me pls?