Okay, in answer of this question, and with the help of jv2112's post, I'd like to give a full(er) how to:
I just restored my most recent bookmarks, here's what I did (hoping someone gets some help out of this)
- hook up the "damaged" drive in a PC (my OS was completely dead...)
- put a live CD in the drive, I used Knoppix
, but of course, whatever YOU're comfy with goes
- power (or repower) the box until you've got a usable OS
- plug in the USB stick
- possibly (depends on the OS in question) you'll have to go into Root-mode, Knoppix requires this, I believe TTY linux does'nt...if I recall...
- issue fdisk - l
to see the drives
- make a folder in /media
for each device
- mount each device, some knowledge of the system is in order here. for example, Arch uses /dev/sda4 as home partition, the idea is to mount the home partition
- if available, issue MC (Midnight Commander, the best since sliced bread for this type of operations)
- point each window to its folder (NOT the device, the FOLDER) in /media
- *tip* make a destination folder on the stick, just in case
- navigate to the ./mozilla/firefox folder
- now it get tricky, you should have a folder with some weird name, this is mine:
- navigate in there and find the bokmarkbackups (or something to the liking, the name is obvious)
- copy the whole folder (while you're here anyway) to the stick
- either unmount the stick or power off the system (as far as the boormarks go, that's all you can do here) if you want to "freeze" the condition of the contents...
- insert the sticj into the destination PC, mount it (if it does'nt do so on it's own)
- navigate into the backup folder, you'll find files that end with json, locate the freshest one (smell does'nt help, look at the date
- copy that one to your home folder
- open Firefox (what? not open yet? Hey, lif is on the Internet, join us!!
- hit "history" and then "show all history"
- select import and backup" then "restore" (duhhh...)
- your file will NOT be in there, what you see are the local backups, all the way down, choose "select file" (more duhh)
- find the file you just copied from the stick and restore from that file
*tip* - if you've bookmarked something until then (chances are you did) open all these pages and THEN restore the file. The restore will overwrite the newer bookmarks of course, then, after the restore, bookmark the pages you just opened into the restored set...
There, I hope some poor soul can be helped here!