LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Rep: Reputation: 37
KTorrent?


I am trying to down load a new version of SUSE Open which is 10.3 I have never used the "Ktorrent" program. In fact I really don't know what the heck I'm doing! However I opened up the program and installed it (seemed logical). Then I went to the Novell web site and clicked on the version I wanted to download (64bit). It's doing it's thing but this might take a while at the rates I'm seeing!
Question: What is the best way for me to configure this program while being considerate about the other people who use this program (are all bit torrent programs tied together)?
I only used one of these programs 1 time, and that was to get SUSE 10.2, and that took about 3.5 days when I was using windows xp!
I would rather have some help in configuring the program that I now have (Ktorrent that came with SUSE 10.2.
Unless, the "Gurus" think there is something better available! There is no use in learning a second place product when you are starting out!
But, keep in mind I know very little so maybe what I have is OK, I don't know!! Yes, I'm confused.
LK
 
Old 10-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
indienick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: London, ON, Canada
Distribution: Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,853

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews
Question: What is the best way for me to configure this program while being considerate about the other people who use this program (are all bit torrent programs tied together)?
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at when you say "...while being considerate...", but I'm going to go ahead and take a stab: the way torrents work, is that they create a "swarm" of a file - the protocol breaks it down into tiny, tiny, tiny little pieces, and then you download random pieces of that file from random peers (other users downloading the same file at the same time as you) in a random order. Torrents are great for alleviating servers of constantly being pelted with hundreds of users all trying to download the same 600MB or 4.7GB file.

If you're noticing that the transfer rate is REALLY slow, it could either be due to one of the following:
1. Your ISP-provisioned downrate: I used to work for Verizon as a service tech, and let me tell you, people think that just because it says "Hi-Speed" on the box, and are paying $40/mo. for their service, they think their internet connection is going to go as fast as possible all the time. Half of the time, I would discover that a person is paying $60/mo. for the premium 3Mbps service, when at the distance they were from the C/O (central office) they could only pull down 512Kpbs, at most.

2. Check the limit on the download rate in KTorrent's settings. Make sure it's not something ridiculously low.

3. If all else fails. Stop, and restart the torrent. This will force KTorrent to re-connect to the tracker (a server which distributes chunks of the file). Most of the time, this will fix the problem.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Indienick, I did everything but stop and restart the torrent, here are the "stats".

Average up speed 35 KB/s
Average down speed 12 KB/s
Downloaded 74MB
Time left 3 days 14 hours (This keeps changing, now its 3days 19 hrs)
The % done = 1.79%

Does this look right to you, it looks "Really" slow to me.

Any suggestions?

PS. All these values keep changing to the downside unfortunately!
 
Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
indienick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: London, ON, Canada
Distribution: Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,853

Rep: Reputation: 65
Granted, it's not great; but it could be a lot worse, too.

Which distribution are you running, SuSE 10.2?

If I may suggest, installing a different torrent client. KTorrent is alright, but I have always found it to be a little on the slow side - don't ask me why, it's just what I've seen.

My personal favourite is Transmission. If that's not in your current distro's package repository, maybe try rtorrent. While rtorrent is text-only, it's still amazing. What I'm suggesting, is to just use a basic, no-fluff, text-based torrent client for now; the less your processor is working on big, graphical torrent clients, the more quickly it will be able to dedicate itself to processing the incoming data. This way, you don't have to worry about there always being a big torrent client open, you can just run it in a CLI.
 
Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indienick View Post
Granted, it's not great; but it could be a lot worse, too.

Which distribution are you running, SuSE 10.2?

If I may suggest, installing a different torrent client. KTorrent is alright, but I have always found it to be a little on the slow side - don't ask me why, it's just what I've seen.

My personal favourite is Transmission. If that's not in your current distro's package repository, maybe try rtorrent. While rtorrent is text-only, it's still amazing. What I'm suggesting, is to just use a basic, no-fluff, text-based torrent client for now; the less your processor is working on big, graphical torrent clients, the more quickly it will be able to dedicate itself to processing the incoming data. This way, you don't have to worry about there always being a big torrent client open, you can just run it in a CLI.

I use SUSE 10.2. When I downloaded this I used uTorrent, it was a lot faster than this KTorrent by a long shot! I have the processor power and 1GB of ram, so I'm not worried about being underpowered. When using UTorrent I couldn't even tell it was running.

I'm so new to Linux that I don't even know what you are talking about when you say "distro's package repository".
At the bottom left of my screen is a green lizard logo of SUSE. When I click on this I get a listing of programs I have under KDE 3.5, is this what you call my "package repository"? If so noe of the programs you sited are in there.
Can I get uTorrent for SUSE Linux?
 
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
indienick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: London, ON, Canada
Distribution: Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,853

Rep: Reputation: 65
Unfortunately, I don't think you can get uTorrent for Linux.

A distibution's package repository is a list of files - "packages" - (usually stored on a server far, far away) that are available for the user to install.

I've never used SuSE (no particular reason), and I'm not too familiar with it. I believe the program you are looking for, however, is Yast.

I have noticed that KTorrent is a bit of a memory hog. While it's an absolutely marvelous and full-featured torrent client, it takes up too much memory.

EDIT: Might I suggest getting to know your distro a little better - read OpenSuSE documentation!

Last edited by indienick; 10-09-2007 at 08:37 AM.
 
Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indienick View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think you can get uTorrent for Linux.

A distibution's package repository is a list of files - "packages" - (usually stored on a server far, far away) that are available for the user to install.

I've never used SuSE (no particular reason), and I'm not too familiar with it. I believe the program you are looking for, however, is Yast.

I have noticed that KTorrent is a bit of a memory hog. While it's an absolutely marvelous and full-featured torrent client, it takes up too much memory.

EDIT: Might I suggest getting to know your distro a little better - read OpenSuSE documentation!
That last sentence says a lot. I will study it as I should have first. But like everyone else I was in a hurry to get things up and running in the shortest amount of time.
I'm going to look into the torrent programs you talked about, maybe on of them is faster.
LK
 
Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
dahveed3
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 191

Rep: Reputation: 31
Search for Bit Torrent on the opensuse.org website and read the wiki page.

It'll show you what to do. You merely need to open YaST-Security-Firewall and in allowed-advanced add 6881:6999 in the TCP window and add 4444 to the UDP window. YaST will reconfigure the Firewall to allow in and out on those ports and KTorrent works fine at top speed that way.

It is a security risk to open ports but essentially that's what you need to do. If you're worried, go back in when not using KTorrent and just remove what you typed in and YaST will close the ports again.

The uTorrent program works fine using Wine, but really isn't necessary for normal Torrent use unless you absolutely need DHT transfers for non tracker downloads. That's rare unless you do a lot of questionable file sharing.

On other distro's even that will work but OpenSUSE turns that off in KTorrent even if you activate it in the options. It's a legal compliance thing.

You can still download anything that uses a standard tracker. And you can set KTorrent to allow encryption and legacy support in the options so your ISP will be unlikely to be able to monitor things except for bandwidth use.
 
Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahveed3 View Post
Search for Bit Torrent on the opensuse.org website and read the wiki page.

It'll show you what to do. You merely need to open YaST-Security-Firewall and in allowed-advanced add 6881:6999 in the TCP window and add 4444 to the UDP window. YaST will reconfigure the Firewall to allow in and out on those ports and KTorrent works fine at top speed that way.

It is a security risk to open ports but essentially that's what you need to do. If you're worried, go back in when not using KTorrent and just remove what you typed in and YaST will close the ports again.

The uTorrent program works fine using Wine, but really isn't necessary for normal Torrent use unless you absolutely need DHT transfers for non tracker downloads. That's rare unless you do a lot of questionable file sharing.

On other distro's even that will work but OpenSUSE turns that off in KTorrent even if you activate it in the options. It's a legal compliance thing.

You can still download anything that uses a standard tracker. And you can set KTorrent to allow encryption and legacy support in the options so your ISP will be unlikely to be able to monitor things except for bandwidth use.


dahveed3, I have printed what you said and will try to digest it later.

Last night I quit/deleted the download as "indienick" suggested (at about 48% completion) in the first place! So far my download speed has doubled and the complete download sshouldn't take more than another 10 minutes! This is with about 30 peers. The number of peers seems to have a very large bearing on the complete download, as well as the following:

I really watched this thing and it soon becomes obvious that the longer you are "on" the faster things will start downloading. The only thing I did different last night was to change ----
I just went to check and the program has a blank screen, I'll have to get back to you guys as soon as I find out whats going on!
LK
 
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews View Post
dahveed3, I have printed what you said and will try to digest it later.

Last night I quit/deleted the download as "indienick" suggested (at about 48% completion) in the first place! So far my download speed has doubled and the complete download sshouldn't take more than another 10 minutes! This is with about 30 peers. The number of peers seems to have a very large bearing on the complete download, as well as the following:

I really watched this thing and it soon becomes obvious that the longer you are "on" the faster things will start downloading. The only thing I did different last night was to change ----
I just went to check and the program has a blank screen, I'll have to get back to you guys as soon as I find out whats going on!
LK

Well, what a bitch! I have absolutely no idea what happened.
The Ktorrent screen was blank when I went back to check, it should have been completed in this time frame. However all I get is a "blank screen", what did i do wrong this time! It just doesn't make sense!
LK
 
Old 10-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #11
dahveed3
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 191

Rep: Reputation: 31
I hope it's as simple as this:

There are two tabs there. One is downloads and one is uploads. When a download is complete it is moved to the uploads tab for seeding.

I won't laugh at you if that's all it is! I've made oversights just as funny.
 
Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahveed3 View Post
I hope it's as simple as this:

There are two tabs there. One is downloads and one is uploads. When a download is complete it is moved to the uploads tab for seeding.

I won't laugh at you if that's all it is! I've made oversights just as
funny.

No, it didn't move to the uploads and continue seeding, everything was blank. However, I found the completed file in the "Documents" folder, why there I don't know, everything is set up to go to the desktop.
Thanks for the input, LK.
 
Old 10-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Whoops, I forgot a little something. What program do you guys use to create the ISO image on a DVD or do you have to in Linux?
 
Old 10-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 437

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews View Post
Whoops, I forgot a little something. What program do you guys use to create the ISO image on a DVD or do you have to in Linux?
Sorry, I searched and found a program called "K3b". It took me a little while but I found it among the SUSE programs (KDE). I just finished copying the downloaded iso file to a DVD, rather easy especially if you look at the program logically. Then again, I haven't tried to install it yet (SUSE Open 10.3)
 
Old 10-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #15
dahveed3
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 191

Rep: Reputation: 31
If you made a data cd and added the iso image to the project and burned it you do not have an installation cd/dvd, you just have the iso file!

You must choose other and burn cd or dvd image, browse to where you saved the .iso file and choose it. Slow down the speed to like the second to lowest (like 16x on a 48x or faster burner) to reasonably ensure a good image creation, then have K3b burn it. It's good to click the verify when completed thing so it'll check that at least the burned copy matches the original file.

THAT is the cd/dvd that is what you want to end up with. When you open it to browse the files on it you should see a bunch of folders and files, not just the .iso file. In fact you shouldn't see any .iso file as that isn't copied.

See, the .iso is an image that must be extracted. That is then burned to a cd/dvd. K3b does this transparently, as do most cd burning software programs.

That .iso file is not capable of installing a distro (or anything) until it is burned as an image to a cd/dvd (whichever you chose, either cd or dvd).
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTorrent not downloading arindom Linux - Software 9 06-29-2007 11:28 AM
HD problems... Ktorrent???? ijin Mandriva 1 09-08-2006 09:00 PM
KTorrent Problem signmeuptoo Suse/Novell 2 07-27-2006 07:54 AM
need help with ktorrent megadsonic Suse/Novell 2 12-27-2005 02:46 PM
ktorrent 1.1rc1 anticuchos Linux - Newbie 3 09-11-2005 03:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration