Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I recently moved to Illinois from Ohio, and recently I've upgraded my PCs to Fedora Core 6.
For awhile, everything worked fine. Firefox loaded pages normally, as did Konqueror. Yet, after a week or so, Firefox started to act funky. Sometimes it would take an extremely long time to load pages, or just refuse to load them period, whilst other apps that require internet access would work fine. Konqueror would load all pages at normal speeds. Eventually, I got tired of the issues with Firefox, and tried out Opera. It worked for a day, and then the same thing happened. Slow page loading if at all, whilst Konqueror works perfectly!
I would rather use Opera or Firefox as my primary browser... why is this happening, and how can I fix it?
P.S., the same thing also happens with my laptop, which also has Fedora Core 6 installed.
Although it is very hard to trouble shoot this sort of situation, I once had a kmod-nvidia package when installed with matching kernel 2.6.18-1.2869 that had upset many items in my root account, mostly with items missing in main menu, and the corresponding apps would not work. After upgrading the kernel to final update 2.6.19-1.2895 and matching kmod-nvidia, the problems persisted. I made a new partition and installed an image of a fresh FC6 install and did not install any kmod-nvidia till after all updates including final kernel update were applied, then applied the kmod-nvidia and this version did not have any ill effects like the previous version.
What I'm trying to point out is that it may have been an update that caused this and it may not be irreversible, or a java package that all browsers have to have in their path that was installed.
Try and think back if anything was installed just prior to this event that you may be able to un-install with yum and try installing again with yum where there may be a newer update that has come out since.
You can even try un-installing Firefox with yum, dependencies will be removed also, then just turn around and re-install Firefox and newer versions including dependencies will get installed. This can possibly re-configure what is not properly configured right now.
You may have to take the same route I did to correct my missing menu items and corresponding apps not working.
I don't like to say bad things about one of my favorite distros, but I've had to do many, many re-installs to get everything balanced, and things still go wrong.