LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2003, 01:42 PM   #1
nigham
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Singapore
Distribution: Fedora Core 2
Posts: 32

Rep: Reputation: 15
konqueror browsing a web page directory?


OK, so konqueror doubles up as a browser and a file manager.

Whenever I try to enter a directory with a file named "index.html", trying to browse the directory, it displays the webpage represented by the HTML file automatically instead.

how do i get around this?

thanks

Last edited by nigham; 11-04-2003 at 01:45 PM.
 
Old 11-04-2003, 02:42 PM   #2
BigNate
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Distribution: Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat/CentOS
Posts: 719

Rep: Reputation: 30
I don't use Konq...but it would seem that if you are entering the full anme at the end of the path it would make K think you are trying to render the .html file

for example:
file:///home/nigham/website_stuff/index.html
you get the web page stored there but if you issue:
file:///home/nigham/website_stuff
you should see a list of all the files stored in that dir.
 
Old 11-04-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
nigham
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Singapore
Distribution: Fedora Core 2
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by BigNate
I don't use Konq...but it would seem that if you are entering the full anme at the end of the path it would make K think you are trying to render the .html file

for example:
file:///home/nigham/website_stuff/index.html
you get the web page stored there but if you issue:
file:///home/nigham/website_stuff
you should see a list of all the files stored in that dir.
On the contrary, when i type
file:///home/nigham/website_stuff
and website_stuff has an index.html file, it simply displays that index.html file.
 
Old 11-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
megaspaz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Silly Con Valley
Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9.0
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 46
i believe it has something to do with the filetypes. right click on an html document and choose edit filetype. click the embedding tab and make sure show file in seperate viewer is checked. in your services, you may see khtml in there. that's an embedded html viewer that opens up the webpage ala a webbrowser inside the konqueror's file manager profile.
 
Old 11-04-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
nigham
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Singapore
Distribution: Fedora Core 2
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by megaspaz
i believe it has something to do with the filetypes. right click on an html document and choose edit filetype. click the embedding tab and make sure show file in seperate viewer is checked. in your services, you may see khtml in there. that's an embedded html viewer that opens up the webpage ala a webbrowser inside the konqueror's file manager profile.
Thanks, I tried that but all that does is open html documents in a separate folder. When the embedding option is set to separate viewer, konqueror doesn't even browse to that directory in any form - if i'm in the parent directory and i double click to enter the website directory, it simply stays at the parent directory.
 
Old 11-04-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
megaspaz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Silly Con Valley
Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9.0
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by nigham
Thanks, I tried that but all that does is open html documents in a separate folder. When the embedding option is set to separate viewer, konqueror doesn't even browse to that directory in any form - if i'm in the parent directory and i double click to enter the website directory, it simply stays at the parent directory.
hmmm... this is odd. in konqueror the file manager, go to View in the file menubar. make sure use index.html is not checked.

and then check your html filetype again. choose the default application you want to opne html files with by moving that application all the way to the top of the list or adding that application by clicking the add button and finding the app in the tree view mode of your kmenu and moving it to the top of the list.
 
Old 11-04-2003, 10:47 PM   #7
nigham
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Singapore
Distribution: Fedora Core 2
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
oh great it was the "use index.html" problem... got it now!

thanks a ton!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cant make web server run my local web page... Nik0s Linux - Newbie 22 10-08-2006 10:30 PM
Konqueror web browsing Jeebizz Slackware 5 09-28-2005 08:39 PM
konqueror not browsing web (it is not the typical file association issue) KimVette Linux - Software 3 05-07-2005 02:52 AM
konqueror web browsing eastsuse Linux - Software 2 05-06-2004 01:05 AM
font used by konqueror when browsing web pages tony yu Mandriva 2 03-07-2004 07:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration