i must be doing something wrong:
1. download kernel (right now it's the 2.4.21)
2. put it in /usr/src
3. tar xvfz linux-2.4.21.tar.gz
4. cd linux-2.4.21
5. make xconfig (do the config stuff)
6. make dep
7. make bzImage
8. copy bzImage from arch/i386/boot to /boot
9. change /boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21
9. change grub.conf
added this to grub:
title Red Hat Linux(2.4.21)
kernel /vmlinux-2.4.21 ro root=/dev/hdb3 hdc=ide-scsi
question, the rest of my entries look like this:
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hdb3 hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.4.18-3.img <<< see question number 2 below
1. did i miss a step? do i have to mess with System.map?
2. what is the initrd all about. i dont get that when i compile.
everytime i compile a new kernel and try it out, something doesnt work.
i havent tried out the 2.4.21 yet, but im about to reboot.....(maybe i should have waited to post to see if something goes wrong).
i'll be back in a few minutes and if all acutally goes well (this is the 4th or 5th kernel i have compiled myself and none have worked 100%) then i'll modify this thread. In the mean time, if you see something wrong, please let me know.