Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I recently installed, Debian "Etch" 4.0r1 on one of my machines.
I previously had Ubuntu "Dapper", and PCLinuxsOS on this box.
The problem I am having is with an the online game "Runescape".
I can get to the main page, but when the game tries to load ( a java applet), I get an "error loading applet" message, and then nothing.
When I had "Dapper" on this machine, the game worked fine, and also with PCLinuxOS. I have another machine running "Dapper" that the whole family plays the game on with no problem I have "Automatix", installed on the machine running "Dapper", and on the new installation of "Etch" (don't know if that makes a difference or not, just wanted to post all information), and used it to install "java". I also tried installing a java plugin manually. I installed "jdk-6u3-i586-linux.bin", I tried the suggested install, with the symbolic link, and when that didn't work, I had the hairbrained idea to install it directly in the plugins file (/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and also /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins , is this the correct place?), still no luck. Evidently, the Debian project had some sort of problem with and or using the "Firefox" name. So now its "Iceweasel", could the problem be that the game server doesn't recognize something with the name change to "Iceweasel" ( kind of like having one wrong letter in a command line pathname or something)?
Can I install the latest version of "Firefox" (dumb question, I am sure I can), where would I install it <pathname>, for a system wide install, and how do I get it to show up in the Applications > Internet dropdown menu? Or is that not really the issue here (the "Firefox/Iceweasel" name change thing).
I really would like to stick with "Etch", I like the way it looks and feels. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated!
Each browser check several default plugin directories like /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, /usr/lib/firefox/plugins, /usr/lib/opera/plugins (<= imo, this is checked only by opera). Check if you have libjavaplugin_oji.so symlink.
Mine points to:
ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -l
libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/lib/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
Thanks for all the help!
I did finally get it working!
My guess is, with all the tinkering I did to get it working, I had something conflicting.
I re-installed "etch", and before I did anything else, I installed "Automatix2". I changed my
/etc/apt/sources.list as per the instructions for installation, and then did a fix in
/usr/lib/automatix2/distro_helpers.py , here is the fix
"do the following as root:
and change the following line
versions = (('6.06','6.06'),('6.10','6.10'),('7.04','7.04'),('4.0r0','4.0r0'))
versions = (('6.06','6.06'),('6.10','6.10'),('7.04','7.04'),('4.0r1','4.0r0'))
save and close the file and restart Automatix."
(copied from the user forum at automatix web site)
I then had "Automatix" install Java (and some other stuff) and it worked!