LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   is there a no-X (console based) windows manager? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/is-there-a-no-x-console-based-windows-manager-727753/)

frenchn00b 05-22-2009 04:52 AM

is there a no-X (console based) windows manager?
 
Like you can run several programs under console, or it could even convert the text of X apps into console ?

Is it just a dream or reality for Linux?

frenchn00b 05-22-2009 05:12 AM

forget dvtm, you cannot select the text to do copy paste :(

so here a solution :
Quote:

Copy / Paste doesn't work in X

If you have mouse support enabled, which is the case with the default settings, you need to hold down shift while selecting and inserting text. In case you don't like this behaviour remove CONFIG_MOUSE from the CFLAGS in config.mk you will however no longer be able to perform other mouse actions like selecting windows etc.

pwc101 05-22-2009 05:33 AM

http://vwm.sourceforge.net/ seems promising.

Otherwise, there's GNU Screen, which allows you to have the equivalent of many desktops open within a single virtual terminal.

frenchn00b 05-22-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwc101 (Post 3549160)
http://vwm.sourceforge.net/ seems promising.

Otherwise, there's GNU Screen, which allows you to have the equivalent of many desktops open within a single virtual terminal.

What kind of apt-get install XXXXXX, should I do for the :
./configure ; make ; make install

because I have error to compile ... :(
Code:

.h:125: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:126: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:128: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:129: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_category_sort
vwm.h:132: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_keyring_get
vwm.h:133: error: expected ) before keyring
vwm.h:134: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_set
vwm.h:136: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_swap
vwm.h:138: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_run
vwm.h:143: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:144: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:146: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:148: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:154: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:155: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:156: error: expected ) before timeout
vwm.h:157: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_scrsaver_timeout_get
vwm.h:160: error: expected ) before * token
vwm_wndlist.c:30:18: error: menu.h: No such file or directory
vwm_wndlist.c:35: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm_wndlist.c:102: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_fmod_wndlist_ON_DESTROY
vwm_wndlist.c:134: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_fmod_wndlist_ON_KEYSTROKE
make: *** [vwm] Error 1



I have glib 1.2 in the debian stable. so i can forget vwm??

Quote:

glib-2.0 was not found
No package 'glib-2.0' found

No package 'gmodule-2.0' found

No package 'gthread-2.0' found
--
sounds cool: http://vwm.sourceforge.net/killingtime.png

pwc101 05-22-2009 06:11 AM

I didn't really understand you last post, but it seems there's no precompiled binary package for vwm in Debian. In which case, you're going to have to roll your own. If, as I think you said, there's a deal-breaker dependency issue, then I'm not sure how you'd proceed.

Have you looked into GNU Screen? I believe it can split a terminal, emulating separate windows.

edit: http://polishlinux.org/howtos/screen-tips-tricks/

frenchn00b 05-22-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwc101 (Post 3549184)
I didn't really understand you last post, but it seems there's no precompiled binary package for vwm in Debian. In which case, you're going to have to roll your own. If, as I think you said, there's a deal-breaker dependency issue, then I'm not sure how you'd proceed.

Have you looked into GNU Screen? I believe it can split a terminal, emulating separate windows.

I tried:
dvtm and screen, well there is also twin but twin is sure of no way. too old. :(
screen hasnt moving nox-windows

pwc101 05-22-2009 06:25 AM

Wow, it seems we've found one of the only pieces of software apparently not available in Debian.

Googling throws this one up too: http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/neercs. No idea of its functionality.

frenchn00b 05-22-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwc101 (Post 3549198)
Wow, it seems we've found one of the only pieces of software apparently not available in Debian.

Googling throws this one up too: http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/neercs. No idea of its functionality.

thanks (I rather like twin like)
libcaca stuffs, I guess i wont manage to install it in a decent time :(

TragicWarrior 05-22-2009 11:47 AM

Compiling VWM from scratch
 
VWM author here. Glad to answer build questions if needed.

linus72 05-22-2009 12:24 PM

OK hey; is it possible, maybe to add VWM to any distro, like TTYLinux ( http://minimalinux.org/ttylinux/ ) or Slackware?

I have been wanting a text editor for both console and X...maybe VWM can help that in some way...?

tredegar 05-22-2009 12:34 PM

@TragicWarrior
Quote:

VWM author here. Glad to answer build questions if needed.
Thank you.

Welcome to LQ!

frenchn00b 05-22-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicWarrior (Post 3549507)
VWM author here. Glad to answer build questions if needed.

and the author is welcome as this, as a king :
http://www.amma-europe.org/french/20...1_cannes01.jpg


Quote:

.h:125: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:126: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:128: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:129: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_category_sort
vwm.h:132: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_keyring_get
vwm.h:133: error: expected ) before keyring
vwm.h:134: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_set
vwm.h:136: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_swap
vwm.h:138: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_run
vwm.h:143: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:144: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:146: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:148: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:154: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:155: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:156: error: expected ) before timeout
vwm.h:157: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_scrsaver_timeout_get
vwm.h:160: error: expected ) before * token
vwm_wndlist.c:30:18: error: menu.h: No such file or directory
vwm_wndlist.c:35: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm_wndlist.c:102: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_fmod_wndlist_ON_DESTROY
vwm_wndlist.c:134: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_fmod_wndlist_ON_KEYSTROKE
make: *** [vwm] Error 1
error are that debian stable hasnt libtoolize and glib 2.0 is not in debian stable. that will break it, partic,. for frenchnoob.

TragicWarrior 05-22-2009 03:28 PM

Text editor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by linus72 (Post 3549541)
OK hey; is it possible, maybe to add VWM to any distro, like TTYLinux ( http://minimalinux.org/ttylinux/ ) or Slackware?

I have been wanting a text editor for both console and X...maybe VWM can help that in some way...?

The nano text editor with color syntax highlighting runs quite well in VWM and quite a bit of development that way.

frenchn00b 05-22-2009 03:45 PM

In reply to the pm, the code of the error is here as with:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc101 View Post
http://vwm.sourceforge.net/ seems promising.

Otherwise, there's GNU Screen, which allows you to have the equivalent of many desktops open within a single virtual terminal.
What kind of apt-get install XXXXXX, should I do for the :
./configure ; make ; make install

because I have error to compile ...
Code:

.h:125: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:126: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:128: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:129: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_category_sort
vwm.h:132: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_keyring_get
vwm.h:133: error: expected ) before keyring
vwm.h:134: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_set
vwm.h:136: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_swap
vwm.h:138: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_hotkey_run
vwm.h:143: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:144: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:146: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:148: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:154: error: expected ) before * token
vwm.h:155: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm.h:156: error: expected ) before timeout
vwm.h:157: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_scrsaver_timeout_get
vwm.h:160: error: expected ) before * token
vwm_wndlist.c:30:18: error: menu.h: No such file or directory
vwm_wndlist.c:35: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before * token
vwm_wndlist.c:102: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_fmod_wndlist_ON_DESTROY
vwm_wndlist.c:134: error: expected =, ,, ;, asm or __attribute__ before vwm_fmod_wndlist_ON_KEYSTROKE
make: *** [vwm] Error 1



I have glib 1.2 in the debian stable. so i can forget vwm??

Quote:
glib-2.0 was not found
No package 'glib-2.0' found

No package 'gmodule-2.0' found

No package 'gthread-2.0' found
--
Debian stable hasnt enough packages, is it possible to downgrade the vwm, to let it work on stable debian (ref.) or whatever linux trick eventually?

thank you
best regards


Quote:

]:$~>apt-cache search glib | grep glib | grep dev
libavahi-glib-dev - Development headers for the Avahi glib integration library
libdbus-glib-1-dev - simple interprocess messaging system (GLib interface)
libglib-java-dev - Java bindings for GLib (development files)
libglib1.2-dev - The GLib library of C routines (development)
libglib2.0-dev - Development files for the GLib library
libglibmm-2.4-dev - C++ wrapper for the GLib toolkit (development files)
libglrr-glib-dev - Development library of Grift (glib)
libgsnmp0-dev - an SNMP library implementation based on glib and gnet (development files)
libjson-glib-dev - GLib JSON manipulation library (development files)
libnm-glib-dev - network management framework (GLib interface)
libpoppler-glib-dev - PDF rendering library -- development files (GLib interface)
libsofia-sip-ua-glib-dev - Sofia-SIP library glib/gobject interface development files
libtaglib-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for the TagLib Audio Meta-Data Library
libtelepathy-glib-dev - GLib Telepathy connection manager library (headers)
libxmmsclient++-glib-dev - XMMS2 - glib client library for c++ - development files
libxmmsclient-glib-dev - XMMS2 - glib client library - development files

PTrenholme 05-22-2009 04:01 PM

Have any of you tried the venerable emacs system? IIRC it can do an awful lot of the WM stuff using its "buffers" as windows.

There is also the elinks no-X browser available, which I've sometimes found handy when trying to find a driver to get X working.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.