Interesting Resolution In amdcccle/fglrx [Restricted Drivers]
In order to use dual monitors effectively, I thought it best to install the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers on UbuntuStudio 8.10 amd64 for an ATI/Diamond X1300. Unfortunately, long story short, I was wrong.
I am using two different monitors for the dual head setup, although they are only a few model numbers apart. One claims a max resolution of 1600*1200, and the other 1280*1024 (although I am fairly certain it wouldn't mind going to 1600*1200 if told to in a stern enough voice). When I use the ATI Catalyst Control Center GUI application to enable horizontal "Big Desktops", it only allows a single resolution for them- 3200*1200. This would be completely alright, except that's actually not what it is doing. The left monitor accepts the 1600*1200 resolution, and the right monitor takes on a 1280*1024 resolution. I don't care which resolution they pick in the end, just as long as they are the same one, and amdcccle is not affording me this opportunity. So, I call upon you, the community, to offer a solution to my problem. I don't care if I do or don't end up using the restricted drivers or not, just as long as I can successfully use a dual head setup with the same resolution on both screens in the end. Thank you all in advance for any help, sympathy, advice, or even for caring I have a problem. The linux community remains the nicest and most helpful of them all.
I'm having the same problem with a 3 monitor setup. My resolution for all of them should be 1920x1080 but only my right 2 allow me to choose this resolution. My first monitor doesn't have that option but goes all the way to 1600x1200. All monitors are Acer H23H but the first monitors doesn't register as such. In the amdcccle it is labelled as "Default Monitor" while my display manager says it's "Unkown". They are all the same monitors though.
I've already updated and upgraded through the terminal so it should have drivers for all correct?
I tried manually setting the widths in my xorg and everything went crazy. So I had to run terminal and remove the xorg.conf file to get a new one and start over. However now- even though everything is running at 1400x1050 (even the first monitor)- I get this message everytime I login.
Ok I got it working but don't ask me why. I'd still appreciate and answer.
What I did- as strange as is sounds-
1. Set the 2 good monitors to 1920x1080
2. After seeing the other 2 monitors updated size I tried to get the bad monitor as large as possible but keep the same 16:9 aspect ratio of my other two monitors.
3. Unsatified with the size I decided I'd go for the 1600x1200 and just deal with the cursor-wall at the top and bottom of my screen. After I did this the bad monitor went to 1280x1024 for some reason.
4. I had no larger options so I tried mirroring the bad monitor to one of the 1920x1080 monitors- everything got crazy and jumbled of course so I restarted xserver with CTRL+ALT+BKSPC
5. When I logged back in all the monitors were 1280x1024 and the bad monitor now has the option to match the others at 1920x1080
No clue what in there fixed it but if anyone has this problem try matching my steps. Best of luck.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.|