(A) Is this (real audio) the best program as a default radio/sounds program for the net
or use XMMS, the Linux Winamp, can also listen to live streaming audio.
(B) how do I go about opening or executeing the .bin file??
its an autoinstaller. go into the dir where u saved it, make it executable, then execute it:
chmod 0750 linux20_libc6_i386_b2.bin
*if unsure what a file contains, theres a std app called "file" which can recognize different filetypes and return their type. for executables itll return something like "Linux ELF executable".
(C) What are the normal steps/procedures for installing and executing additional programs onto Linux (ie word processors, etc) that I download off the net in the future?
1. Login as a regular user, not root, this is for security measures. if root or some !%$^! programmer makes a mistake (or deliberately fsck's up) being in the root account can have desastrous results on ure box, like wiping out all files...
2. Download archive, uncompress, like "tar -xzvf (filename.tar.gz)"
3. go into the created dir, read the README and INSTALL files.
4. Download and install any dependancies if mentioned in the README and INSTALL files
4. read "./configure --help", then execute "./configure (options, if any)"
5. run "make"
6. now su to root account and issue from the dir u was in "make install 2>&1 > (filename)-install.log"
and ure done.
for .deb .rpm .pkg there are installers (or convertors like Alien) that will do dependancy checking and installing.
If ud like more to read, head over to linuxdoc.org and search for "Linux Installation and Getting Started" "Linux Administrators Guide" (also known as LAG), the "System Administrators Guide" (SAG). ofcuz linuxdoc has much much more interesting docs...