LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   installing hotplug removes hal & udev. How to get rid? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/installing-hotplug-removes-hal-and-udev-how-to-get-rid-400689/)

dimarcoe 01-07-2006 06:00 PM

installing hotplug removes hal & udev. How to get rid?
 
Hi,

I'm trying to reinstall hotplug after a dist-upgrade.
My system is debian unstable and I' running 2.6.15-1-686 kernel.
When I run

localhost:~# apt-get install hotplug

it returns:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
ifrename
The following packages will be REMOVED:
hal initramfs-tools udev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
hotplug
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/66.7kB of archives.
After unpacking 1913kB disk space will be freed.


but hal and udev are necessary for X to work. There is also another conflict.
If I try to install gnome I go through a series of unmet dependencies as:


gnome-desktop-environment -> gnome-volume-manager -> pmount

and if I try to install pmount it wants to remove hal:

localhost:~# apt-get install pmount
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
dbus-1 libhal0
The following packages will be REMOVED:
dbus hal
The following NEW packages will be installed:
dbus-1 libhal0 pmount
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 2 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/462kB of archives.
After unpacking 393kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.


What can I do?
Thanks!


emanuele

HappyTux 01-07-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimarcoe
Hi,

I'm trying to reinstall hotplug after a dist-upgrade.
My system is debian unstable and I' running 2.6.15-1-686 kernel.
When I run

localhost:~# apt-get install hotplug

it returns:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
ifrename
The following packages will be REMOVED:
hal initramfs-tools udev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
hotplug
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/66.7kB of archives.
After unpacking 1913kB disk space will be freed.

You cannot have the old hotplug installed at the same time as the udev and hal as you can see. The udev is supposed to be a replacement for hotplug so the packages conflict with each other.

Quote:

There is also another conflict.
If I try to install gnome I go through a series of unmet dependencies as:


gnome-desktop-environment -> gnome-volume-manager -> pmount

and if I try to install pmount it wants to remove hal:

localhost:~# apt-get install pmount
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
dbus-1 libhal0
The following packages will be REMOVED:
dbus hal
The following NEW packages will be installed:
dbus-1 libhal0 pmount
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 2 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/462kB of archives.
After unpacking 393kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.


What can I do?
Thanks!


emanuele
Now that looks like pmount needs to be rebuilt against newer libraries if you can wait a few days most likely a newer version will be uploaded with the correct dependencies or you could try to rebuild it yourself, if you want to do this and don't know how let me know.

dimarcoe 01-07-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyTux
You cannot have the old hotplug installed at the same time as the udev and hal as you can see. The udev is supposed to be a replacement for hotplug so the packages conflict with each other.

Ok, this is fine, but I had the firmware files for wireless card in the hotplug directory /
Does udev look into old hotplug directories?


Now that looks like pmount needs to be rebuilt against newer libraries if you can wait a few days most likely a newer version will be uploaded with the correct dependencies or you could try to rebuild it yourself, if you want to do this and don't know how let me know.

Wow, can you show me how to do this?

Thanks so much!

emanuele

HappyTux 01-07-2006 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimarcoe
Wow, can you show me how to do this?

Thanks so much!

emanuele

Sure first make sure you have everything installed to compile.

Code:

apt-get install build-essential devscripts dpkg-dev fakeroot
Hopefully I have not missed anything there now as root.

Code:

apt-get build-dep pmount
Now as user.
Code:

mkdir -p ~/src
cd ~/src
mkdir pmount
cd pmount
apt-get source pmount
cd pmount-X.Y.Z/
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
cd ..
su -c 'dpkg -i pmount-X.Y.Z-???.deb'

Edit: For the parts with the -X.Y.Z/ and -X.Y.Z-??? just change it to the output you will see for them on the screen the first being the directory created the second the .deb created. For the su -c part you will be asked for the root password so it can install the package.

dimarcoe 01-07-2006 07:48 PM

cd pmount-X.Y.Z/
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc


All went fine until linking step, where I have:


:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:174: undefined reference to `hal_device_exists'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:179: undefined reference to `hal_device_property_exists'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:180: undefined reference to `hal_device_get_property_string'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:186: undefined reference to `hal_device_property_exists'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:188: undefined reference to `hal_device_property_exists'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:190: undefined reference to `hal_device_property_exists'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:192: undefined reference to `hal_device_property_exists'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:193: undefined reference to `hal_device_get_property_bool'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:191: undefined reference to `hal_device_get_property_bool'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:189: undefined reference to `hal_device_get_property_string'
:/home/dimarcoe/src/pmount/pmount-0.8/pmount-hal.c:187: undefined reference to `hal_device_get_property_string'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status


it could be some missing device?
Thanks,



emanuele

HappyTux 01-07-2006 08:16 PM

No that is a bug in the source of the pmount-hal.c you will either have to wait until it is fixed or fix it yourself. I do notice that there is a newer pmount in experimental, now whether you want to try and install it is another thing.

Code:

>$ apt-cache policy pmount
pmount:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.8-2
  Version table:
    0.9.7-1 0
          1 http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental/main Packages
    0.8-2 0
        990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
        600 http://ftp.de.debian.org sid/main Packages



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.