LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
ronkymac
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 72

Rep: Reputation: 15
Installing Debian on a Sun UltraSPARC lli through the serial pot


Hi all,

I've acquired a sun ultrasparc lli, without keyboard or mouse,and I'm planning to install Debian on it since Debian appears to have good support for sparc processors.

The problem is, that I don't have a sun keyboard or mouse. These are not standard PS/2 keyboards, and employ an 8 pin din instead of what you'd find on the PS2.

So, I'm guessing it might be possible to install Debian over the serial port. I've never done this before, and I have no idea how to go about doing it. Will I need a specially wired serial cable? how will the box respond to a serial input at boot time? I'd be grateful to anyone who could point me in the right direction.

Regards,
Ronald.
 
Old 01-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Dox Systems - Brian
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 31
If it has a standard serial port, a standard serial cable is what you use. You *may* need a null modem adapter, depending on how the lines are configured at what you attach on the other side. *Most* SPARC boxen will default to using ttya (serial) as input if a console (either "Sun" or USB, depending on model) is not connected.
 
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
ronkymac
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 72

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dox Systems - Brian
*Most* SPARC boxen will default to using ttya (serial) as input if a console (either "Sun" or USB, depending on model) is not connected.
That's what I was trying - but on serial port B instead of A. I'm guessing it's not possible to link up to the system through serial B without setting it up already on the system (which isn't possible in this situation). The only reason I spend ages trying to configure the VT to use port B is because I don't have a db25, so I'm guessing it might be worth investing in one now!

Incidentally, I'm using a psion series 5, which has a serial (rs232) output and a basic terminal called comms. The other end of the cable terminates with a db9: the same pinout as is on the sun box.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dox Systems - Brian
If it has a standard serial port, a standard serial cable is what you use. You *may* need a null modem adapter, depending on how the lines are configured at what you attach on the other side.
so will this mean that if I get a null modem, I can use the db9 cable from the psion and successfully convert it to a db25 through which I can connect to the sun box?

Regards,
Ronald.
 
Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Dox Systems - Brian
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkymac
That's what I was trying - but on serial port B instead of A. I'm guessing it's not possible to link up to the system through serial B without setting it up already on the system (which isn't possible in this situation). The only reason I spend ages trying to configure the VT to use port B is because I don't have a db25, so I'm guessing it might be worth investing in one now!

Incidentally, I'm using a psion series 5, which has a serial (rs232) output and a basic terminal called comms. The other end of the cable terminates with a db9: the same pinout as is on the sun box.




so will this mean that if I get a null modem, I can use the db9 cable from the psion and successfully convert it to a db25 through which I can connect to the sun box?

Regards,
Ronald.
I believe that (if you had the console, which would eliminate the problem...) the Sun can be setup in OpenBoot to use ttyb, however, the default is ttya.

I expect that if you have the appopriate cable that you will most likely be able to do what you want.
 
Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
ronkymac
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 72

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Rightey, that's grand. I'll be heading in to town tomorrow so I'll pick up the appropriate cable and let you know how I get on later tomorrow night!

Regards,
Ronald.
 
  


Reply

Tags
cable, install, serial, sun, ultrasparc


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Sun fights UltraSparc sunset with Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-24-2006 07:01 PM
LXer: Sun GPLs Latest UltraSPARC LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-14-2006 08:46 PM
LXer: Sun plans to get Linux on UltraSPARC via Xen LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-14-2006 06:16 AM
Sun fire V240 Debian Serial Install jbogins Debian 1 07-29-2005 09:21 AM
installing *BSD on a Sun Ultrasparc with no keyboard..... stockerz *BSD 1 06-27-2004 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration