Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Sorry if this question was previously answered, but because L 99 uses words less than 3 characters it's not searchable.
I'm REALLY new to linux, but not to computers or windows, I installed Mandrake 9.0 via 3 ISO cds, everything ran smoothly until I tried to reboot when after the DPMI refresh, I got:
L99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 and it goes until about half the screen is filled, then it stops.
I haven't bought mandrake, rather this is a test drive, so I'm not receiving direct support (don't have the manual to F*ing read.) Anyone out there know how to fix this?
Because I hate my 1.44 disks, I don't have a floppy drive.
I installed pretty much every package (almost 2 gigs) because I really want to see what each one is all about (I even installed all the desktops, both KDE & Gnome.)
My system is as follows:
1x Celeron 1GHz
Shuttle Hot 649a Dual BX motherboard
256MB PC133 SDRAM
1x Powerleap slotket adapter
1x 12GB WD drive
1x 8x20x Plextor CDR (Ultra Wide SCSI)
the scsi controller is a 7890 type (onboard)
from the lilo manual:
L <error> ... The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started, but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").
However neither of the above reference section include someting about error 99, so please post the contents of you're lilo.conf. And the output of fdisk -l.
You might also check if you have entered the proper disk into lilo.conf (e.g.: /dev/hda1 instead of /dev/hda) or something like this.
BTW you usually boot an installed system unsing the install CDs. Since I don't use Mandrake I cannot tell you exacltly how to do it, but there should be an option somewhere during boot of the install cds.
yes i have the same problem and i uninstalled linux about a month ago, and lilo keeps on coming up. as i always choose to run windows 2000 anyway. But all of a sudden the morning it just came up with L 99 99 99 99... and i cant find anyway to get around it.. is there anyway in dos to delete lilo or anyway to get rid of this?? oh and i've tried formatting and that doesnt work. And also i cant edit the config file in linux coz its not installed. if you can help me with this i'd be very thankful.
Ok, I tried out Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, all gave me the L99 crap. The problem wound up being that:
1) Linux doesn't like a Tualatin CPU in a BX motherboard.
--so I switched back to an OLD Celeron 333a.
It's gotta be the kernel I used. I'm gonna re-try this CPU with a motherboard that Natively supports Tualatin.
Once I switched out the CPU, everything was fine.
by the way, as a long time windows user, I dunno WTF is wrong with KDE, but the default fonts suck on an i810e motherboard (integrated graphics.) If this is a problem for you, simply change the font size from 12, to 16 or 18. It makes things much easier to read (I think you can do this under View.)
I also fixed my networking problem:
I had to manually enter my DNS information, the autodetect doesn't work for me (Linksys NIC to a cable modem router.) After that, everything is great.
Now if Linux could only get some decent 802.11b support.