LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   how to use physics cdrom in Xen? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/how-to-use-physics-cdrom-in-xen-695471/)

holmes86 01-06-2009 08:48 PM

how to use physics cdrom in Xen?
 
how to use cdrom drive in Xen? thanks

htnakirs 01-07-2009 01:12 AM

Too little info.
Assuming the CD lists that it will run only on Windows, you should install Wine first and then run the CD.

holmes86 01-07-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htnakirs (Post 3399569)
Too little info.
Assuming the CD lists that it will run only on Windows, you should install Wine first and then run the CD.

I mean I always use the iso file for Xen,I want use physics cdrom,how to doing this? thanks

slack12ware 01-08-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holmes86 (Post 3399429)
how to use physics cdrom in Xen? thanks

A bit more infor about "physics cdrom" will help people to help you better.
Is it a course/tutorial CD like the CBT Nuggets/Tesout CDs or is it the cdrom drive brand or what ? Elabotrate.

holmes86 01-09-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slack12ware (Post 3400768)
A bit more infor about "physics cdrom" will help people to help you better.
Is it a course/tutorial CD like the CBT Nuggets/Tesout CDs or is it the cdrom drive brand or what ? Elabotrate.

sorry all,I mean "physics cdrom" is cdrom drive.just is real cdrom drive,not is virtual cdrom.

slack12ware 01-09-2009 01:58 AM

I take it you meant "physical drive" ,in any case.
As you didnt state : wether the drive is attached to the PC or what steps you have taken so far and errors it throws I will assume its attched to your computer and you just want to be able to read it. in which case just insert a cd into the drive , open a terminal and type:

mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

if that doesnt work (only if above fails)

mkdir /media/cdromdrive
mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdromdrive

you have to be root for all these commands to work.if it doesnt work post all errors you get.

zhaoyi 03-06-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slack12ware (Post 3402014)
I take it you meant "physical drive" ,in any case.
As you didnt state : wether the drive is attached to the PC or what steps you have taken so far and errors it throws I will assume its attched to your computer and you just want to be able to read it. in which case just insert a cd into the drive , open a terminal and type:

mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

if that doesnt work (only if above fails)

mkdir /media/cdromdrive
mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdromdrive

you have to be root for all these commands to work.if it doesnt work post all errors you get.

Hi, I am a newbie and is looking for solution to use cd-rom under redhat
Xen (virtual machine of windows 2003, I only can see the qemu cd rom but can't use it), I found one solution as Installing and using a fully-virtualized Xen guest,

Using a real CD-ROM drive

You can also use a real CD-ROM drive in the virtual guest. Use the following device entry for the guest CD-ROM drive, changing the source option to list the device name of the CD-ROM drive to be used:

<disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
<driver name='phy'/>
<source dev='/dev/hdc'/>
<target dev='hdc'/>
<readonly/>
</disk>

It looks like I should modify a file when the linux boots

HOW

zhaoyi 03-06-2009 07:48 PM

should put one cd media in your drive and restart the virtual op ( in my case is windows) and the windows can find the disk, working fine. but if you want to change the media, it will have problem. I have seen reject the media first and then put one back, I will google it later

Ducttapemasterj 03-18-2009 01:06 AM

Check this out:
http://www.novell.com/support/search...eID=DT_TID_1_1

Was trying long and hard to figure out how to present CD/DVD media to the paravirtualized host. Worked like a charm for me! Hope it helps!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.