So, in summary, I gues that the proceedure would be:
1. copy the ooffice scripts from /usr/bin to somewhere safe.
2. Performa an rpm -e of the openoffice 1.03 rpm.
3. Intall the openoffice 1.1rc2 into /usr/lib/openoffice
4. Copy the the ooffice scripts back into /usr/bin. (My concern is whether the ooffice script needs to be hand modified to suit the new version??)
5. Within Nautilus, associate the files with the new version of openoffice
6,. Update /etc/pluggerrc to allow Mozilla to use it as a helper application.
What do you think???