Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am a newbie. I do really need your help to recover my Hard drive. I will type the scenerio by per section for you to review.
1. I had instal NT v.4 on my 10 GB hard drive.
I made primary partition with fdisk 1.5 GB for Dos/NT. The installation was worked but I didn't made the rescue
disk! First error!
2. I made Ext. partition 8.5GB for Linux. Then I install
ed the Caldera first instead of The RedHat from the cd comes with the book -(first) I could not distinguised which
one are the Caldera/RedHat! Second errors! But I did make rescue disk called "Lizard"
3. I reinstall the RedHat and made a several new partitions for the /root, /usr,/temp, etc.
The RedHat installation was successful but I forget
to make the rescue disk and I didn't know that I did erase the previous partition for the Dos/NT!!
I thought it would has been on different screen; separate from the Dos/NT! And I lost my Windows NT OS and when I boot It was LILO came out!
Now I made a terrible messed here!
4. I tried to repartition with the fdisk!
I erased the Ext. Partition for LInux that has about 4 GB! I tried to increase the size for the WinNT but the screen printed out "Cann't delete Ext. while Logical drive exist. 5. Then I tried to delete the Logical drive it printed out NO Logical drive exist!
6. Then I tried to reformat the C: and it printed out "cann't format c: -network drive" but it doesn't has network install!
7. And I tried to reinstalled NT but it printed out faatal error, code 0x5,0,0,0x2, now I could not reinstall NT!
8. I tried to reinstall the RedHat but it printed out "an error occured reading th partition, RedHat has 2 pExtended partitions. I tried to click on Retry/skip buttons but it didn't work!
9. I tried to reinstall the Caldera cd, This cd came with partial Magic partition. while I was trying to LEARN HOW to repartition it, the sscreen printed out these following statement:
hda start 1, ending 1247, size 9781 MB, systems
hda1 start 1, -"- 192, _"_ 1505 for dos/win
hda2 _"_ 193_"_ 1247, "_" 8275, EXTended
hda3 "_" not use
hda4 not use
hda5 _"_ 193, "_" 575, "_" 3002 , Dos/Win
hda6 "_" 576, _"_ 1038, _"_ 3631, Linux
10. I could eject the cd, I have to insert the flopy disk to do so.
I am very appreciate for any information/help to recover my hard drive. Thanks alot to response my request.
What you might want to do is boot up with the Linux CD, start a new install. When it comes to the point of creating partitions with like disk druid or whatever, that is when you can delete all the partitions, then reboot and try to install NT then. Your post was kind of confusing to me on what was going on, Do you know what version of RedHat it is? If it is like 6.0 or higher, I would recommend what I said above. Act like your going to install Linux, then reboot after you erased all the partitions, then try to install NT from there.