Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Distribution: Debian / Red Hat 7.3 / Peewee / Feather
help: ALSA OSS/Free Emulation problems
I am a little mixed up about how the alsa oss/free is supposed to work
I think what I am doing (from searching LQ) is mixing up loading oss modules and the alsa modules which is causing conflicts that I don't know how to resolve.
Some notable facts about my system:-
1) I run 2.4.20 kernel (sound support compiled in but nothing else)
2) I have a sis7019 onboard chipset, for which there do not exist any ALSA drivers, but I have an OSS driver
3) I have compiled the sis7019 OSS driver. I have also installed the alsa-drivers onto my system
4) If I modprobe snd-pcm-oss it loads in the relevant mixers etc ok. However the snd-pcm-oss says unused. If i then cat "blahblah" > /dev/dsp it says /dev/dsp/ No such device
5) If I modprobe the compiled SiS driver it loads in soundcore, ac97_codec, and the driver, but once again in lsmod it says sis7019 driver is unused
alias char-major-116 snd
alias sound-slot-0 sis7019
below sis7019 ac97_codec soundcore
alias sound-card-0 sound-slot-0
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss