Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
During make check of a from-source build of glibc-2.3.5, I get the following:
translit.po:6:10: invalid multibyte sequence
translit.po:6:11: invalid multibyte sequence
translit.po:6:12: invalid multibyte sequence
translit.po:6:13: incomplete multibyte sequence at end of line
translit.po:6:14: incomplete multibyte sequence at end of line
msgfmt: too many errors, aborting
The problem appears to be more pervasive than I originally thought ... surfacing in several other compiles ... and this seems to point away from glibc and toward another tool, gettext.
Close inspection reveals that there is a very old copy of gettext on the system, and it is the one being picked-up in the path. I am removing it to see if the problem clears up, and will keep you informed.
Things are not going well. gettext-0.14.5 is failing its own test suite (make check) quite consistently, with many different language po's.
I'm going to presume that something must be wrong with the locale information (glibc) but right now I am seriously befoozled as to just what the source of this problem is. I do know that it seems to be highly pervasive, affecting many compiles of many different things, all with the same symptoms. I have removed the errant older copies of gettext and am reinstalling locales, but the problem is still open.
An example of the offending sequence is the two bytes: <B3><EA>. Hmmm... .. ..
Last edited by sundialsvcs; 09-08-2005 at 02:46 PM.
It's 3.4.4. A clean copy of gettext, configured --with-included-gettext, is failing every time along with everything else.
Obviously the problem can't be the compiler .. it compiles just fine. It must be something off-the-wall that I don't understand yet, because it's affecting many things at the same time. What I call a "screwball problem." The worst to diagnose, although usually the simplest to solve once identified.
I see an unfortunate crash-course in GNU internationalization in my future. Until I fully understand what the check is saying to me, I can't seem to trace it back to its source.
Oh, this system is none-too-stable right now .. .. in many respects, but of course, I put it there, using a sacrificial system just as I advise so often, just so that I could figure my way back out. ... But this problem is highly-pervasive, and curious.
Last edited by sundialsvcs; 09-09-2005 at 10:59 AM.