I tried to open Gaim using the console as this helps with finding faults. Here's what happened:
Gaim has segfaulted and attempted to dump a core file.
This is a bug in the software and has happened through
no fault of your own.
It is possible that this bug is already fixed in CVS.
If you can reproduce the crash, please notify the gaim
maintainers by reporting a bug at
Please make sure to specify what you were doing at the time,
and post the backtrace from the core file. If you do not know
how to get the backtrace, please get instructions at
. If you need further
assistance, please IM either SeanEgn or LSchiere and
they can help you.
So I did what there helpfile said about obtaining a backtrace and did the following:
adrian@AHBlaptop:~> gdb gaim
GNU gdb 6.3
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) handle SIGPIPE nostop
Signal Stop Print Pass to program Description
SIGPIPE No Yes Yes Broken pipe
Starting program: /opt/gnome/bin/gaim
(no debugging symbols found)
Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
Program exited normally.
(gdb) bt full
I'll get on to the Gaim people as requested, but if anyone here can help, please do!