I found out what my problem was.. I was trying to get Skype working under Wine but the sound of my microphone to the recepient was of very poor quality , and in an attempt to fix this I accidentally enabled aRtsd at KDE startup , this really messed up my sound . When I tried to test my soundcard with the Redhat-config-soundcard, my soundcard was shown but the test sound never got to my speakers unless I logged out of KDE , then the 12 attmpts to play the sound card all got out of their buffer !!!!!!
Getting back to gaim freezing : Disabling aRtsd at KDE startup fixed the problem cause the sounds of gaim could now immediately go to my speakers and were not buffered anymore ..