LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   force fallback in gnome 3: option moved, hidden or gone entirely? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/force-fallback-in-gnome-3-option-moved-hidden-or-gone-entirely-4175459006/)

carolus 04-21-2013 11:14 AM

force fallback in gnome 3: option moved, hidden or gone entirely?
 
The option to force fallback mode for the gnome 3 desktop is no longer present under system settings > graphics (in debian wheezy).
I have seen reports that gnome was killing the fallback mode, but the functionality is still there: I have a current debian (wheezy) live iso that boots in fallback mode as a virtual machine but in standard mode on bare metal. I find it hard to believe that there would be no user access to this function.

Thor_2.0 04-22-2013 04:25 AM

I ditched Gmome the second it went v3...I'm using XFCE now, never looked back...maybe a tip?

Good luck, and sorry I could'nt answer your question, but came up with an alternative instead...

Thor

goumba 04-22-2013 02:23 PM

The only way I'm aware of accessing fallback in Wheezy is by selecting "GNOME Classic" in GDM. It's a pity that GDM3 even removed the prompt of making a session the default, AFAIK.

carolus 04-22-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goumba (Post 4936697)
The only way I'm aware of accessing fallback in Wheezy is by selecting "GNOME Classic" in GDM.

How do you do that?

jpollard 04-22-2013 04:42 PM

there is a menu in the GDM login script. As long as the plugins are installed, it should be listed in the "session" menu.

carolus 04-22-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpollard (Post 4936784)
there is a menu in the GDM login script. As long as the plugins are installed, it should be listed in the "session" menu.

Which login script? Something in /etc/gdm3? What plugins? (For a default Wheezy installation.)

goumba 04-23-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolus (Post 4936805)
Which login script? Something in /etc/gdm3? What plugins? (For a default Wheezy installation.)

GDM is the greeter presented when you log in. Type your user name, hit enter. Underneath the password field should be a "Session" drop down. Click it, then select "GNOME Classic" then enter your password.

Edit: GDM3 makes the last selected session the default, it seems, without prompting. Once setting the session to "GNOME Classic" you should not have to change it again (of course an update may break this behavior, at which point select "GNOME Classic" again).

carolus 04-23-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goumba (Post 4937100)
GDM is the greeter presented when you log in. Type your user name, hit enter. Underneath the password field should be a "Session" drop down. Click it, then select "GNOME Classic" then enter your password.

Yes, thanks. After logging off, when I logged in again the "GNOME Classic" option appeared under a "System Default" button on the login screen.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.