I posted this question on my disto-specific forum, however it appears to be a unique problem, so here it is:
When viewing videos on youtube.com, most other websites, and when trying to run certain flash games, the flash applet will not display (though the audio will play). Instead of displaying the flash applet, there will be a grey box where the flash video or applet would normally be.
This problem occurs on Firefox and Chromium, but not on Opera.
My Specs are as follows:
Distro: PCLinuxOS 2010 (32-bit)
swfdec has never been installed (to my knowledge)
I did a lot of investigating about the problem but have turned up no solutions thus far. Here are my results.
- Flash videos and applets which allow access to the settings menu (like youtube played from their website) do not display, however flash videos and applets which do NOT allow access to the settings menu (including youtube videos embedded in other websites) WILL display.
- Reinstalling flash-player-plugin and firefox through synaptic does not solve the problem (though note that PCLOS works with rpm files, not deb files. apt4rpm does not support the remove --purge operation, however reinstalls are said to overwrite custom configs with stock ones.)
- Creating a new firefox profile and/or starting FFox in safe-mode does not solve the problem
- Creating another user and running FFox from that user will properly display flash videos
- Comparing default plugins between my main user and new user shows that there is no difference. So this likely rules out a defective extension or plugin binary.
- Deleting ~/tmp/plugtmp* folders when FFox is closed does not solve the problem.
- Removing the ~/.macromedia and ~/.adobe folders does not solve the problem. (have checked permissions between the new test user and main user, and they are equivalent)
- Downloading libflashplayer.so from the Adobe website and copying it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins has no effect on the problem.
I'm thinking that there might be somewhere else that flash stores configurations for my user, and that maybe the settings there are corrupted and would need to be purged. However frantic googling has turned up nothing useful so far.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?