Hi to all!
I am a novice user of Linux, indeed these days i am doing my first attempt by installing Fedora 5. Unfortunately after installing it, WinXp Pro was allready present on my HD, straight forward i have a first problem.
I try to run Windows Setup from the Installation CD, so i insert the CD into the CDrom and i boot my system. The classic message "Press any key to run setup ... " appears. I am going forward and then a second messages appears "Setup is inspecting your HW configuration ... "
That's it! My system stacks and what i get is only a black screen.
I am 100% sure that there is no problem on my HW configuration but the problem is on the MBR. Probably something messed it up.
I found this thread related to my issue, but i need some help since some points are not so clear to me:
Inside the thread is present this solution:
Just a quick update......
1. Use the FC3 rescue disk and get to the prompt
2. run fdisk /dev/hda (if you have one IDE drive you're dealing with)
3. Select p to list the partitions, should see each linux partition listed.
4. press d, then select 1
5. press d and select 2.
6. repeat until all Linux partitions are gone.
7. press w to write the changes...you may get an error but ignore it.
8. Exit out and reboot the machine with the WinXP disk.
Instead of that procedure, since i do not feel yet confident with Linux, if i log into WinXp delete the Fedora partitions using a tool (e.g Acronis Disk Director) and then boot ... do you think that i will be able to enter setup and correct the MBR or i will totally mess up everything ... even windows ?
In this fase i do not mind to delete and re-install fedora since no work is present on it, BUT i dont want to mess up of format my WinXp partition right now since all my job is on that partition ...