fedora core 2, with mysql 5.0 and mysql 3.23 dependencies.
i just got a hosted server deal from 1and1.com. they offer various configurations, but the fedora option i have is 2. it came with mysql 3.23 but i'd like to get updated to 5. however, trying to do this has become such a pain...
where i am currently:
1. updated mysql-shared-compat package which helped with most options. the machine was installed with some dependencies against 3.23 so i saved those by installing the pack.
2. rpm -U for mysql-server and mysql-client
however, i'm generally lost on a bunch of things.
1. the mysqld wont start, no clue where to find out why
2. i'm vaguely aware mysql should be run under mysql/mysql user/owner, but where i need to make config changes, i dont know. i did the installations as root.
3. how can i verify that mysql 5.0 installed the files correctly?
4. is fedora core 2 even suitable for this version of mysql 5? my impression is that its an older, but usable server OS. whether that's true or not i have no idea.
sorry i'm kind of lost. i'm a programmer that's definitely shied away from configuration for a while.
any help is appreciated.
Last edited by ilazarte; 02-07-2006 at 08:30 AM.