extint settings for adsl connection using rp-pppoe?
Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am trying to set up our DSL connection using pppoe, on our gateway/Firwall (RH9). The interfaces are set up and seem to be configured. I ran through the instructions at roaring penguin and everything seems fine with the install, except... I run adsl-setup and inputed all the relevent user name etc. When I run adsl-start, I get a connection, and the ifconfig entry for ppp0 shows the correct ip address and all that. I double-checked the dns entries in /etc/resolve conf and they are correct. The machine can ping the adsl modem and gets the appropriate response, but I cannot ping the internet at all. No connection past the modem. When I hook the adsl line back up to our 2K mail server it works fine. Anyone have any idea what I should try next to solve this dillema?
bump!. I checked the /etc/ppp/ directory and the file pppoe.conf is not there. The instructions say there should be a file there by that name but it is not there. Am I reading old instructions? Help....
If you got a recent version, you should have something like rp-pppoe-3.5-1.rpm. On my Mandrake 9.0 gateway, it definitely has a pppoe.conf file in /etc/ppp. It holds the info you entered in adsl-setup, like your external interface card and userID for your ISP. This file (pppoe.conf) is fundamental to rp-pppoe working, so if you don't have this file, then something went wrong when you ran adsl-setup. Did you run it as root?
Another thing to look at is your firewall. On my system, my firewall is configured in iptables; I had ppp0 set as the external interface with dial-up connection, and I thought I needed to change that to eth0 when I switched to adsl. I was wrong; switched it back to ppp0 and it all worked from there. Don't know if RH is the same but worth checking.
The only other thing I could think of: is the version you installed compatible with your PC configuration? I notice the .rpm is i386; would this matter if your kernel is configured for i586? You could try downloading the src.rpm and re-building the binary rpm as per roaring penguin's instructions to see if that made any difference.
i don't know if there's the Shorewall firewall activated, like it is in mandrake 9.1.
If so, read through the /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf there's a setting you must enable fpr pppoe connections, if this isn't done, you will not get any response from web.
I finally found the problem.. It turns out that the version of rp-pppoe that ships with Red Hat 9 is somewhat broken. Once a connection is made with the DSL modem, the machine loses its default gateway. It has something to do with the DHCP on the interface being aliased as ppp0. Anyhow, my fix was simple. At the end of my firewall script I added the following lines, so that the porblem would be fixed automatically upon connect.
route del default
route add default gw $EXTIP
(where $EXTIP is the external ip address on the DSL line)