dual OS install windows XPx64 linux RH4 on two RAID 1 arrays - "Grub read error"
The ulitmate problem is that I am trying to load Windows XPx64 and Redhat Enterprise Linux AS, Redhat 4, so that I can boot into either system, but I am not loading them onto the same hard drive. I am trying to load onto 2 RAID 1 arrays. I can boot windows but I can't boot Linux.
The current configuration is that there are 2 virtual disks:
- Hardware: Dell precision 690, 2xdual Xeon processors, LSI logic SAS 5 bus host bios controller (this is what i used to configure the raid arrays).
- I have 2x500GB hardrives configured in one RAID 1 array, and another 2x500GB harddrives configured in another RAID 1 array. These were configured using the SAS controller.
- I loaded Windows XPx64 onto the first RAID 1 array, and it partitioned 8MB on the second array. Windows loads fine.
- I then loaded Linux onto the 2nd RAID 1 array and it seemed to load fine, it recognized the 8MB from windows, it created a /boot partition and a third large LVM PV partition, but after loading I cannot boot into Linux. Every time I try to boot directly from the 2nd array I get a "Grub read error" and nothing else.
- I have tried reloading the grub loader in linux several different ways (onto the MBR, not on the MBR) but nothing is working.
- Prior to this I had loaded the Linux on the 2nd array and it was able to boot on the computer, so I know the disks are good and that the computer can install and run linux.
I can boot off the CD into linux rescue, but I really don't know where to go from there or how to solve the Grub problem.
Anyone have any suggestions on the problem or how to initially get into linux to tweak the grub files?